How do I fit new glass into my door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced broken panes in windows before and managed well (got lots of tips on here!). They are sash windows and I had to use the linseed putty on the outside bit.

The next project is to put new glass into the door - there is horrible ripple-y glass there now and I want something nicer.

There's two bits: Firstly, there is the big square of glass above the door. I think I'll manage OK replacing this - I can see that it's held in place by quadrant beading nailed onto the inside of the frame. Not that I'm anticipating it to be easy ... Any tips?

The second bit is four "pie" shaped bits actually in the door. Each pie shape is made up of two straight bits, a large curved bit at the "pie crust" and a small curved bit at the "pointy bit of the pie". Hope that makes sense! These are also held together with quadrant beading. But the dodgy refurb means that only some of the curved bits have beading. This leads me to think that it's difficult and the **** who did the crap refurb in the 70s didn't bother.

So: how do I do this? The easy option to me seems to use glazing pins to get the new glass in place and then use the linseed putty ... but that feels weird to be doing on the inside of the door. And we're trying to do our DIY to a better standard.

The other option is to see how I go at using quadrant beading on the big square of glass on the top of the window and get someone in to do the four "pie" shaped bits in the door if it's too hard. Or maybe I could use quadrant beading on the straight bits and use the putty on the curved bits?

The final option is to not bother and "get a man in". If I went for this option, where would I look for this sort of "man"?

Well done if you've got to the end of my essay, especially if you've understood my "pie" analogies!

Sponsored Links
You need beading in doors [vibration could loosen putty].
The curved beading needs bending into place, you need to steam it to allow it to bend, slow fiddly process to avoid snapping fine beading.You could place a line of nails in a scrap of timber in the shape of the door aperture and wind bead thru this when wet, allow to dry for a few days before fitting.

Thank you foxhole - you come to my rescue once again!

You've not given me the answer I want :) but I can see what you mean about the putty loosening and I guess I'd better do the job properly.

As has been said, the hardest? part is the curved beading. Once everything is ready you should be done inside the hour. One tip, use a SMALL cross pein hammer.

Sponsored Links
I had to google a cross pein hammer - never heard of one! Is the logic that I'll be less likely to smash the glass that way? I assume that I should be able to get one from the builders' merchant around the corner?

When I replaced some panes in the window I used some glazing pushes (I think that's what was written on the box - small metal things that I pushed into the frame to hold the glass in before putting the putty on). Anyway, can I still use those before putting nailing the beading in?

Yes, of course you can. They will hold the glass as well as putty. You only really need to use putty on the outside in order to seal the glass.

Thanks foxhole, that halfords pin gadget might be very handy for the trickier curved beading.

Thanks also wingcoax - I was just worried that the beading wouldn't fit over the top properly.

Now we just need to choose what pretty pattern to get cut!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back