How do I make my garage waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any builder-types out there who’d know how best to tackle the following?

My garage (on the left) has always leaked on one wall, where a sloped concrete path ran down the side of it, above the level of the garage floor.

IMG_0480.jpg

Underneath the path was effectively ‘hollow’ as shown, creating an ‘overhang’ inside the garage.

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

As you can see from the first photo, I’ve removed the concrete path and I intend to revert back to a path with steps in it.

My question is:

How should I proceed in order to prevent further leaks into the garage?

Should I:

a.) Use flat paving slabs to ‘bridge the gap,’ then pour a concrete path on top with a gentle downwards slope.
b.) Brick up the ‘gaps’ on the inside of the garage to create a continuous internal wall then fill the void (with what?) Create a concrete path as above.
c.) Tackle it in some other way (please specify!)

Lastly, with any of these options, will I need to tank the inside of the garage in order to make it waterproof?

Thanks in advance.

Pete :)

Sponsored Links
So there was a sloped access pathway here before and looking at the first image it looks like its been removed to try and put a stop to the water ingress??

As its dead space why not fill the void with a weak mix of concrete. Say 20 or 25 newton. Well vibrated.
But stay 150mm below finished path level to allow for another 150mm of 35 newton. And step risers fixed in if the pathway is stepped.
And fix some 15mm benonite water stop to the sides to effect a seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back