How do I mend holes in wood?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kitchen cabinet that the door has come off.
What's happened is tha the screw fixings in the wood have somehow worn the wood and won't go back in properly because the holes are too big now.

What can I do?

Can I simply use filler?
And then when dry, drill new holes?

I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea.
Surely the filing would be prone to coming out much much more quickly with wear and tear and general use of the cabinet door?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

Sponsored Links
You can buy hole and plug cutter sets. You drill a hole with cutter, cut a plug from similar wood using plug cutter, glue plug in hole.

Alternatively, buy some dowel and a few mm bigger than the hole needing repairing, drill out the hole to the size of the dowel, glue and length of dowel in and cut off flush.

Potentially not as accurate as the plug cutter option, but effective it done with care.

Sponsored Links
Problem with dowels is you are screwing into end grain.

oilman said:
You can buy hole and plug cutter sets. You drill a hole with cutter, cut a plug from similar wood using plug cutter, glue plug in hole.
i tried searching on ebay.
couldnt find any results.
what search terms should i be looking for?

I have yet to come across an epoxy anything that is like steel. It is like epoxy, a plastics material.

ok... maybe not like steel... but will it do the job i need doing?
will it replace my holes?

What wrong Jasonb link idea?

This is how it's done below if you're not sure,

DriPlate.jpg

You can buy the plug cutter sets from a company called Tool Station, you can find them online or order by phone with a catalogue. The web site is www.toolstation.co.uk and the number is 0808 100 7-2-11.

Plug Cutter Set £5.35 64444

Titanium Plug Cutter Set £9.94 72650

The numbers after each item are the order codes to save you time.

Good look from your trusty cabinet maker phil

couldnt find anything for 'hinge repair' on ebay.
what should i be searching for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back