How do I remove a Danfoss Radiator Valve?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by shirlmidd, 3 Mar 2006.

This topic originated from the How to page called Removing a radiator.

1. shirlmidd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can someone please tell me how to do this! The pin in the valve has stuck which means we have one cold radiator. The rad had been bled of air so we know that the problem is with the TRV. I am having difficulty removing the valve cover on the left side of the radiator to gain access to the pin for cleaning & greasing. The small black locking pin has been removed from the valve by the way! Thanks from a persistent lady DIYer. :(

2. chrishutt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You have to twist the innermost black, knurled section in the opposite direction to the main body of the head - difficult to explain in words, but imagine you're wringing the neck of a chicken - this will release the clamping bits inside the black section.

When you've finally managed that, read the bit on sticking TRVs in the FAQ topic, otherwise you'll do the wrong thing with the pin which you think is stuck (it probably isn't!).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ollski

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They have a little locking tab in the black ring aswell, you need to lever this out unless it has already been broken off....most have.

4. superspudm

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    hey, i've got the problem as well but i haven't managed to remove any of it yet, does anyone know how to remove the cover?

alex

5. Tpplumbing

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Iv been reading this post.. An i noticed you mentioned you have to twist the black bit of the body to release the thermostat.. These are exactly the same as my valves.. How ever one has broken... What are the valves called and will i be able to still get one? Tom

6. sussexgeoffers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lots of talk about removing the whole thing to get the pin to unstick. Have to say that I find a really aggressive wiggle and a couple of sharp taps often works. Just done it now. From cold radiator to warm radiator in 2 minutes.

7. Charnwood

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've 'manipulated' quite a few stuck pins over the years, with great success.