How do I remove lead based paint from woodwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have recently been asked to redecorate the interior of a Victorian house. Included in this re-dec they have requested that I remove all paint from woodwork so as to get rid of the lead based paint. Being reasonably new to the trade this is the first time I have been asked to do this. I have used a heat gun in the past to remove paint but this was not lead based paint. I am concerned about the Health and Safety implications of this task as there will be a young family residing in the property while work is being carried out.

Is there a safe, efficient way to remove this paint?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The safest way to remove it is to use a chemical stripper such as Nitromors. Do not use a heat gun as it will put toxic lead fumes into the air, and do not dry sand or wire brush it.

I'm only a diy'er but came across the same problem in my 1930s house. I wasn't very keen on the idea of using one of the more toxic paint strippers in the house, especially with the amount of cleaning up you have to do afterwards.

I ended up using one of these modern gel organic strippers. They're very low odour and don't burn your skin, although I did still wear gloves. Have to say it worked pretty well -left it on for a good while first then used wire wool to rub it off.

Good luck

Brittas

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

I have recently been asked to redecorate the interior of a Victorian house. Included in this re-dec they have requested that I remove all paint from woodwork so as to get rid of the lead based paint. Being reasonably new to the trade this is the first time I have been asked to do this. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
My advice to you - Walk away from the job - :!: Simples ;) Don`t waste your time there - I`ll not waste my time here explaining all the why`s and wherefores

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back