How do I remove this Myson TRV head?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one cold radiator in my house, and after some research it looks as though the issue might be a stuck pin in the TRV.

However I can't work out how to remove the cover to get at it!

The brand seems to be Myson. It looks pretty retro - no obvious collar that twists, it feels like one solid unit - and I'm stumped. Even less helpfully, it's right in a corner so impossible to look at it end-on. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2687.JPG
    IMG_2687.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,019
Sponsored Links
Havent seen one of them old boys for years , you need to set the sensor to maximum then slide the securing O ring down with a screwdriver till it is free of the sensor then you will be able to pull the sensor off, once you free the pin put the O ring back on the sensor head before attaching back on the valve then push it all back on and it will snap back on

Ian, your advice was perfect! The pin was indeed stuck 'in' once I got in there - once I'd cleared the dust and rust and taken a little WD40 and a pair of pliers to gently pull the pin outwards, all was well. I can feel it warming as we speak!

Glad someone still knows what to do with the seriously retro plumbing I've inherited - had the boiler replaced last year and the plumber hadn't seen one like it for about 25 years...

Ian, thanks so much for letting me benefit from your expertise in your spare time, and enabling me to fix it myself. I'm really grateful.

I'm so pleased to have seen this, the heating system in this house was put in 30 years ago by previous owners and it has the old-style Myson TRVs - the system is seriously outdated and young plumbers are flummoxed by it, there aren't enough people around with the experience and willingness to fix rather than replace. Using the advice here I've just got my bathroom radiator working again after two winters without it - and as my domestic tool kit consists of little more than a hammer, screwdriver and WD-40 I'm a very happy old bat. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Personally wouldn't use WD40 as it can rot the rubber seals in the valves, but glad your heating is working

I appreciate this is a very old thread but it's the only reference I came across on the Internet when searching... I have a house with a radiator with this same TRV valve but it's broken and the radiator is on full blast all the time... I managed to get it off using the instructions but notice the valve is not a screw thread but more of a collar that the TRV clipped onto. I want to replace the valve and wondered if there is an adapter.that will allow me to use a modern screw on TRV or whether I just need to get the whole unit replaced.

Here is a photo of the unit to help explain it better.

Attachments

• 20181007_140707.jpg
    20181007_140707.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,624

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back