How do I remove this without water going everywhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I need to remove my towel radiator in bathroom.

Please see the pictures.

Can someone point out (in simple terms - I'm not a DIY expert) what steps I need to take in order to remove this towel heater without water going everywhere.

There are two pipes that go into the rad at the bottom, will water not rush out of these if I remove it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
See the brass square end on the fitting? Turning these off will keep your system full and allow you to take the rad off....you'll have to accept water loss there, of course.
John :)

See the brass square end on the fitting? Turning these off will keep your system full and allow you to take the rad off....you'll have to accept water loss there, of course.

Hi john, yes I do - At the moment the brass nut is tightened up fully. If I remove the hexagon bolts on each side at the bAck of the radiator (where the pipes go into the radiator), But keeping everything else as it is, will this be the correct procedure?

What about the left side, where the plastic cap is. Should this be tightened up maximum?

Cheers

Yep Mark - the plastic valve is the on/off valve for the rad, the uncovered one is the lockshield thats used for balancing the system.
(The valves are the same thing, in effect). So - turn them off fully, and crack open the hex nut that joins the rad to the valve. Don't strain any pipes and have a tupperware dish handy!!
The rad won't drain properly until you open a bleed valve (small squared) on the top of the rad.....that allows air in.

Sponsored Links
I usually wrap a plastic bag around the fitting so that when I loosen the nuts the water that drains out can be directed into a container without splashing all over the floor.

Much to my wife's annoyance I use a roasting dish if the rad isn't very far from the floor.

Oh and don't loosen the nuts completely at first because it's useful to be able to do them up quickly if the water comes out too fast! :eek:

I've always preferred a builders rubble bag, without holes of course, as a means to catch any water when draining a radiator. It gives you more flexibility than a Tupperware bowl and holds more water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back