How do you cut glass tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
just wondering if I could get a bit more advice from you guys...

I have been asked to do a splashback, the customer has decided she wants to use "very large" glass tiles (i haven't seen them yet)....

firstly has anyone got any advice on how to cut them? I am hoping that my rubi wet cutter will do the job...but to be honest i hven't a clue. I am assuming the dry cutter won't work, and as for nibbling I imagine that would be a disaster!

The other thing is there are four plug sockets involved... and because the tiles are going to be large, there is a distinct possibility that a socket may fall bang in the middle of a tile..oops!... so can I use an angle grinder to make the hole?...would that work on glass?

also while on the subject is there anything i should look out for in terms of adhesive and grout when using glass tiles?

help desperately needed!

Sponsored Links
Electric wet cutter will do them or a good manual cutter for the straight cuts a lot faster.

You will meed a modified adhesive and preferably white, if there is no backing coating to the glass you will need to ensure they are fully bedded otherwise the notch marks will show through the glass, Try BAL Mosaicfix.

Jason

Cheers jason.. so you reckon a rubi t70 might be ok for the straight cuts?...

but if i do get a plug socket in the middle of a tile, what do you reckon? I obviously don't really have a clue, but an angle grinder seems like it might be a bit risky... do you reckon i could hold the tile horizontally over the top of the wetsaw blade?

also if i then need to remove a small piece to accomodate the plug socket fixing screws could i use parrot nippers?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back