How do you get about after topping up loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to top up my loft insulation. It's 100mm presently, and I'll add another 170mm laid over it. I'll no longer be able to see the joists, or walk on them easily. What do people do about getting around the loft in this case? Is there some trade secret? Or. does the top up insulation have to be removed /rolled back prior to walking on the joists? I was thinking of the case where you have to get to a light fitting, cable or pipe. I'm assuming that loft boards can't be used any longer as it would compress the insulation, probably to the point of popping off the ceiling plasterboard.

This is such a common occurrence, yet I've read scant advice about accessing the loft subsequent to topping up insulation. I'm hoping that the loft doesn't become a no go area?

Sponsored Links
The insulation must be rolled back to expose whatever it is that you need to get at.

Light fittings are generally wired from the room below, cables will last for decades and pipes only need to be accessed if they are leaking - a rare/never occurrence.
If there are junction boxes for lighting or other circuits, or the wiring or other services are old and in need of replacement, this should be done before any insulation is installed.

I'm hoping that the loft doesn't become a no go area?
That's exactly what it becomes.
You can't walk in there as you can't see where to step.
You can't store junk in there as it would compress the insulation making it useless.

The only other option if you want to use it as a junk zone is to have additional structures installed so that boards can be fitted over the insulation. Typically 8-12 inches above the existing joists.

That's exactly what it becomes.
I was dreading this. I have a programme of alarm, CAT5 and CCTV wiring that I was going to roll out. I was being flexible as to what I did, kinda making it up as I went along, building upon the results. So this means all that has to be done and dusted prior to top up. And then no more experimentation /messing about... :mad:

Are there any tips in planning for future rolling back of the insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back