How do you remove a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry for posting a topc that has been posted many times before.

I am trying to remove a radiator in order to remove the skirting board before putting laminate flooring down.

I have followed instructions on how to remove the radiator however the nuts are on too tight (I am trying to unscew them in the right direction).

The nut is difficult to get to as you can only get to half the nut as the radiator lip covers half the width of the nut. I am using a second adjustable spanner to hold the valve. When I apply too much pressure I get a small leak from the valve and the nut will just not move.

Is it feasible to turn the hot water off and remove the nuts from the valve instead?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
turn it off and drain down is your only other realistic option :idea:

unless its open vent and you fancy having a go at pluging the header tank :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev.

Its not going to be as straight forward as I had hoped for.

In between writing on here I have managed to prise the skirting from the wall with a crow bar beneath the radiator. However now its off it is still behind the radiator and won't come out unless the radiator is removed of the skirting cut. Im temped to cut it in two and use some filler to hide the join when I put it back together

Cutting the skirting at 45% would be a much better plan. :idea:

Steve - just to make certain you've been trying to turn the unions the right way - here's a piccy.

This is a standard "old fashioned" radiator valve. Reverse direction for right hand end.

Thank you everyone for your reply.
Cmother thank you very much, I am embarrassed to say it but I was trying to do it in the wrong direction.I was working anti clock wise out as though the nut was attached to the radiator :evil:

You have saved my sanity and my skirting boards. I think iy just as well I am getting a joiner in to lay the laminate!

One final question the water came out very black, would that suggest sludge or just dirty water, the lower part of the radiator is only warm.

It suggests it would be an idea to flush the system out and put some inhibitor in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back