How Does a neon screwdriver work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
The sharp end fits in to the slot of a screw. With your hand, turn the other end clockwise or anticlockwise to rotate the screw. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

You buy it from the shop, realise your mistake and throw it away.

Oh sorry, you asked how does it work.
Well basically it doesn't work enough to make it useful for anything to do with electrical installation or fault finding. Also, if they get wet or go faulty, they can be lethal.

Sponsored Links
Hadn't heard that one. Needn't have bothered then... :(

Do you genuinely not know, or is it a dull wind-up?

The little neon glows if the voltage difference between the blade and the hand of the person holding the handle is more than about 90 volts.

The circuit is normally completed via a capacitive conection between the person's body and earth.

For the neon to glow there also has to be enough capacity from body to earth that enough current can flow to make the neon bright enough to be seen.

A person on a wooden floor far from any earthed item will not have enough capacitive coupling to ground for the current necessary for the neon to glow visibly.

If the person is close to a switch drop wire their body could be more capacitively coupled to that potential than to earth. In this situation the the neon would not light when the blade touched a live conductor and may well light when touching a neutral or earthed conductor.

THEY ARE NOT A SAFE WAY TO TEST FOR LIVE.

All that's inside them screwdrivers is a neon lamp and a resistor.

When the blade touches a live wire, a current flows through the screwdriver blade, to the neon indicator, the resistor, the end cap of the screwdriver and through your body, eventually to earth, usually through the soles of your shoes.

The value of the resistor is chosen so enough current flows to light the indicator, but not enough to give you a nasty shock .... in theory!....

But.....

If the neon fails, they don't light up
If the resistor fails open circuit, they don't light up
If you aren't holding the end cap or clip, they don't light up
If you aren't in contact with a reasonable earth, they don't light up.
If the innards start to oxidise, they might not light up.
If you are wearing the wrong shoes, they might not light up.
If you are working from a wooden step ladder, they might not light up.

If you assume a cable is dead because the neon doesn't light, you may soon find out otherwise, maybe by suddenly finding yourself leaping backwards from the top of a pair of steps if you are lucky.
If you are not so lucky, you may never know what hit you.

If the resistor fails short circuit, there's nothing limiting the current, so when you use it, you light up instead!

If they get damp, the moisture can short-circuit the innards, again causing you light up.

If they get damp, then dry out again, there may be an invisible track of salts deposited, shorting out the innards, so again you light up instead of the neon.

That's just some of their good points.

They are no substitute for proper test equipment, no matter what the salesmen say. They may even be more dangerous than not testing at all, as you may proceed with a job with misplaced confidence after a false negative test.

I used one to 'check' some 1.5mm T+E wires in the void above the bathroom ceiling........lit up when I put it near the cut ends. So I isolated the power at the CU, and traced the wires back - completely unconnected to anything and just pulled away in my hand.

Agree these are awful things, but....

Has there been any document cases of people being shocked or killed by using one of these with a faulty resistor?

Just out of interest really.

I used one to 'check' some 1.5mm T+E wires in the void above the bathroom ceiling........lit up when I put it near the cut ends. So I isolated the power at the CU, and traced the wires back - completely unconnected to anything and just pulled away in my hand.
Not sure I would have advertised that amount of stupidity. I take it you don't do electrical work for a living.

Not sure I would have advertised that amount of stupidity. I take it you don't do electrical work for a living.

Ah yes I completely forgot that the most intelligent way to test something is to find the prevailing opinion of a group of net forum users rather than test it myself and come to a conclusion. What was I thinking.

What was I thinking.
I can't begin to imagine.

You were the one who decided that using a neon screwdriver counts as "testing", so you'll have to give us a lot of help regarding your thought processes - without that we're really going to struggle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back