How even should the tone of new plaster be before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plaster in the following image was applied three weeks ago and I am waiting to be able to paint over it. Does the plaster need to be a completely even tone? It has been mostly light pink for well over a week and the darker areas do not seem to be changing. We've had the heating on for a few hours per day, along with an oscillating fan and a dehumidifier.

snapshotofme3.png

Sponsored Links
Was it a skim over existing - or new work on plasterboarded ceiling /new plaster system on bare walls :?:

What if the dark patches are PVA where it was skimmed over :eek: ;)

Sponsored Links
After 3 weeks, i would say your plaster has dried out. It always dries to differing lighter/ darker shades of pink across the wall/ceiling. You will never get a completely even tone of colour.

What if the dark patches are PVA where it was skimmed over :eek: ;)

What if it was? And do you mean PVA over the plaster or plaster over the PVA?

I'm not sure whether it was completely replastered or just skimmed. It happened while I was away and my mum arranged it. I've asked her to call the people who did it.

I want to remove the paint from the skirting board as well. Since I'm planning on a) removing the paint from the skirting board, b) painting all the walls and c) sanding and varnishing the floorboards, what order is this best done in? Surely, if I'm going to be applying a lot heat to the skirting board, that's best done first to avoid damaging the other surfaces?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back