How hard to move a radiator? Could I do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aim: Disconnect a small radiator from its copper pipes. Fit to new position. Drill holes through floorboards to accept copper pipes in the new position. Call plumber to do the actual pipework. I could of course get the plumber to do it all (much more expensive?) but was thinking of doing part of the general labour myself.

Facts: Radiator is non-thermostat and is located in an upstairs bathroom.
I have a glow worm combination boiler fitted in the upstairs bathroom.
The dial on the boiler says that the system is pressurised to 1bar.

Questions:
I'm unsure of sealed v unsealed systems.
Can I drain the system myself?
Can I remove the radaitor myself?
I'd prefer not to tackle the pipework as haven't got the time to swot up.

Note: I'm an electrical engineer (motorway communications) and am fairly technical and can follow a manual, find my way around the boiler.

All advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I did a similar thing recently, pretty easy although I had to get into some dodgy positions to get to the pipes...Left me with muscle aches for a couple of days !!

I used solder ring fittings for the new pipe work and a blow torch which turned out easier than I thought it would be. I practised on some spare pipe before I tackled the main pipes though. I removed rad and drained system myself. When you drain the system, the bar will go down. Once finished, just fill up the system to the same bar again.

I'm no expert, but it worked for me. Let me know if you want the finer details.

1. I think because it is combi - it is sealed - you will have a valve you can turn to top up after draining the system... remember to open the bleed valves upstairs and then downstairs otherwise the system will not drain down properly (air goes in - water comes out!).
You should have a drain hole on one of your downstairs rads.
I agree with ricke - pipework is quite easy. soldering much easier than i thought - use pre-soldered joints - easier.
If scared - use compression fit - BUT USE PTFE TAPE OTHERWISE YOU WILL NEVER GET A SEAL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back