How Long Should I wait for a Boiler Quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently approached four local installer's regarding a new boiler
to replace my old floor standing Baxi. All have carried out surveys,
and said that they were interested in doing the work. After waiting for
two weeks, I've only had one reply.

Should I chase them up, or am I being unreasonable in expecting a quote
so soon?

Maybe I should think again about refurbishing the old Baxi :)

Sponsored Links
If it was us you would have a quote within 1-2 days posted or email to you, whichever your preference.

Get in touch with more installers, when they arrive ask them when you will be receivng your quote. Give an email address for a quicker response.

Don't chase them up, they obviously don't want the work.

Normally takes me at least a week what with so much work on and trying to catch up and paperwork at home is difficult but if it was going to be longer id always say.

Id struggle to get most out in 1-2 days personally but id say a week is reasonable

Sponsored Links
if someone comes back within a day or two that would suggest they were desperate for the work. when i was an apprentice and also when i left for another company before going self employed they both worked on a 10 day turn around unless it was an emergency situation, thats what i work on now and its never been a problem in 18 years of business. If i was to price every job i looked at in 1-2 days id never get anything else done.

got one, he's keen but totally useless. dont think he helps getting the prices out quicker.

I dont see why it is so difficult to do a quick quote,the days of handwriting sticking it in envelopes going to post box are long gone

A standardised format quote,something any twelve year old can set up for you on your pc and the job can be done in minutes,if you are not computer savvy then ask your kids for help you will be pleasantly surprised .

There are alot of things IT can do nowdays to speed up our jobs its matter of choice if we embrace them or not

We turn around quotes within 24 hours most of the time and no longer then three days overall.

If people are not replying in over a week,then the customer will wonder if they are interested in their business.I wonder how long Homeserve and Britsh Gas are taking now ?

I sometimes don't get quotes out for a week or so. Just checking now to make sure it ain't one of mine :oops:

I try and avoid doing to much work in the evenings, so if im busy all day I can come home and switch off(like most people). Generally I'll wait for a gap in the day to sort them out and often will do them in bulk along with other paperwork.
I don't see a problem as long as you advise the customer that the quote will take that long which I always do and the jobs not urgent.

i do mine on the computer, get them out with-in a week unless it is a big job were it takes longer to get the spec's right. if it going to take greater then a week tell the punter

best to have a sort of template. mines look half friendly letter half quote looking though i don't go in to fine details.

Many thanks for all your advice & comments.

Since my original posting I have now received a second quote, just two more to go :)

The two I've had were from larger firms, who both said they could start in about two weeks time. The two who haven't replied were very small firms who said they couldn't start until August and September respectively.

I wonder if the job's too big for them, as it involves replacing the flue, in the centre of the house, and terminating the new one on a steep pantile roof. Being in the centre of the house, the condensate drain is also tricky.

Cheers

Many thanks for all your advice & comments.

Since my original posting I have now received a second quote, just two more to go :)

The two I've had were from larger firms, who both said they could start in about two weeks time. The two who haven't replied were very small firms who said they couldn't start until August and September respectively.

I wonder if the job's too big for them, as it involves replacing the flue, in the centre of the house, and terminating the new one on a steep pantile roof. Being in the centre of the house, the condensate drain is also tricky.

Cheers
Possibly. On the other hand, if scaffolding will be required, maybe they are waiting for quotes themselves :confused: Or, knowing that scaffolding will be needed, they "know" they will quote themselves out of the market, so don't see the point.

I normally aim to get a quotation out in 24 hrs, especially if a customer has an email address.

Apart from creating a positive impresson, it makes my life easier because if you save them up for 3 or 4 days, you end up with 5-6 jobs in your mind and the detail can get confused. And with quoting fixed prices the devil is in the detail.

Things that can make the job seem less attractive or take longer to quote are;

- customer offering to help (add 20%)
- customer supplying boiler (walk away)
- work to be carried out while customer carries out DIY building alterations themselves over a (long) period of time (walk away)
- working through a builder on behalf of a customer (walk away)
- customer who 'has done their research on the internet' (be wary)
- customer's wife rude or disinterested (usually means someone else is already getting the work and their huusband is just checking the price and wasting your unpaid time)
- customer who lets slip you are 4th (or more) quote (timewaster)
- customer who tells you the price of the boiler on the internet (fascinating. Who would have thought you could do that?)
- customers asking whether you hold 200 boiler parts on your van (have been brainwashed and mislead by BGas)
- House full of clutter and a loft that is piled floor to ceiling with clothes/toys/pet baskets from 20 yrs ago. Ditto airing cupboard.

I normally aim to get a quotation out in 24 hrs, especially if a customer has an email address.

Apart from creating a positive impresson, it makes my life easier because if you save them up for 3 or 4 days, you end up with 5-6 jobs in your mind and the detail can get confused. And with quoting fixed prices the devil is in the detail.

Things that can make the job seem less attractive or take longer to quote are;

- customer offering to help (add 20%)
- customer supplying boiler (walk away)
- work to be carried out while customer carries out DIY building alterations themselves over a (long) period of time (walk away)
- working through a builder on behalf of a customer (walk away)
- customer who 'has done their research on the internet' (be wary)
- customer's wife rude or disinterested (usually means someone else is already getting the work and their huusband is just checking the price and wasting your unpaid time)
- customer who lets slip you are 4th (or more) quote (timewaster)
- customer who tells you the price of the boiler on the internet (fascinating. Who would have thought you could do that?)
- customers asking whether you hold 200 boiler parts on your van (have been brainwashed and mislead by BGas)
- House full of clutter and a loft that is piled floor to ceiling with clothes/toys/pet baskets from 20 yrs ago. Ditto airing cupboard.

Why would you walk away if someone wants to supply their own boiler?

What about someone doing their own research? This forum is full of people doing just that....

Also, as someone who is currently gathering estimates from tradesmen for all manner of jobs I need doing, I've had more than 3 people around for each job (electrics, plumbing, building).

What about someone doing their own research?
Nothing wrong with it, but your average fitter doesn't want to be arsed with someone that asks any questions other than "how would you like to be paid?" ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back