How many billion to tart up the Houses of Parliament?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up to six billion quid? Six thousand million quid? To tart up just one building? I bet there are a few palms being greased already. Let's see a breakdown please. No doubt the cost will double by the end. Apparently the survey cost two million quid. A guy with a clipboard - two million quid?

Sponsored Links
Apparently it will cost a lot less & be quicker if they all move out for 6 years.
IMO they should have an obligation to do this to reduce the costs.

There are those that say that it would be cheaper to knock it down & build a new one - however this one is part of our heritage.

The best bit is that the MP's would have to move out for five years.

If you divide the floor space into a thousand squares - it would cost £6,000,000 per square (if my maths are right).

Sponsored Links
a famous line from a film,
how can they pay for this.
easy,a hammer costs 500 dollars,
summit like that anyway.

Do we still need it?
Aren't we now governed from Brussels?

People on the rip - should expect to be ripped - if they paid what they ought to pay in taxes they may have a say, if not shut up and pocket the easy money.
-0-

The building is a good example of form over function. A bit like a lot of Georgian period houses; people are fond of saying 'they don't build them like that any more.' If those people knew anything about them they'd know that they were thrown together and just made to look pretty on the front face. The HoP is a nightmare building. Large areas are crumbling and access for maintenance is impossible without basically taking it apart. Didn't know about the survey cost. I'd have picked a figure out the air for a lot less than that.

It works out at around £1million per sq foot. What a bargain.

What is there to prevent the re-location of the Government to another location? Precedent is set. Charles I had his parliament at Oxford IIRC, and in earlier times parliaments (or their early equivalents) were held in Winchester as well as other locations. With everyone out, the Victorian buildings could either be restored, or replaced. On a personal note I would like to see the tower which houses Big Ben retained, but perhaps it would be more efficient (regarding energy and finance) to replace the main buildings with a modern construction

Sponsored Links
Back