How much can I do myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had the shell of our extension completed and are now planning to have a new central heating system installed. We're probably going for a pressurised sealed system (oil) and I fully appreciate that this can only be fitted by a qualified plumber to meet current regs. However, in the interests of keeping costs down, how much can I do myself in terms of basic pipe runs, installing radiators etc. ? I am not a qualified plumber but the new push-fit plastic fittings and plastic pipe make life so much easier nowadays. Your views please...

Sponsored Links
Fit everything except the boiler and controls.

before you fit anything, get a heating engineer who will advise you, but more importantly commision what you have fitted

Sponsored Links
Agree with breezer about talking to someone so the commissioning is covered, though this only means setting up the boiler so the manufacturers guarantee works. As for what YOU can do, you can do ALL of it, but you should have the go ahead from the building control dept before you start, and their signature when you finish. You will need this signature for the work YOU have done anyway, as anyone else, however qualified, CANNOT sign for work someone else has done. (Unless they want all the come-backs).

Having said what you can do, it's worth remembering that professionals have made most of their mistakes on someone elses property, so you get the benefits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back