How much space required for this plant room?

My two suggestions are not 'just plain crazy'. I was suggesting one 500 litre twin coil cylinder, each coil of which can transfer 70kW, and a single boiler of adequate capacity to heat the building. How you supply the incoming cold water for your drawoffs is a different matter; I was giving good advice on how to store and heat the domestic hot water and the house with weather compensated control. This is far better than paired boilers with just on-off control, and will take up less space and have fewer components to go wrong.

It is entirely your privilege to ignore or adopt my advice; there is no need to be so rude.

Sponsored Links
3) Doitall. Thanks so much for the replies. I've had a look at your profile pics, very impressive. In terms of room limitations; it is on the ground floor, it doesn't need have to have windows (can have skylights). Also I'm not building up to my boundary, so I presume flues can go anywhere along the external wall (which is not the 10ft dimension but the yet as undecided dimension.)

Thanks again to all

The booster set in the pic, and the sectional storage tank you see to the right of it.

The job in london was 6bar booster into twin unvented cylinders with a balanced cold.

What you have to consider is an average shower uses 10 ltrs/min, so two showers will be the maximum at any one time.

I invited CroydonCorgi into the party because if you are that side of London he would be recommended.

I would love to get the kit out, but A, I'm retired, and B, you probably wouldn't like my rates, but this is what I did for a living for best part of 50 years.

My two suggestions are not 'just plain crazy'. I was suggesting one 500 litre twin coil cylinder, each coil of which can transfer 70kW, and a single boiler of adequate capacity to heat the building. How you supply the incoming cold water for your drawoffs is a different matter; I was giving good advice on how to store and heat the domestic hot water and the house with weather compensated control. This is far better than paired boilers with just on-off control, and will take up less space and have fewer components to go wrong.

It is entirely your privilege to ignore or adopt my advice; there is no need to be so rude.

A 500ltr cylinder is massive and completely unnecessary, when you can have two 210Ltr cylinders doing the same job.

Back up is an important consideration when installing larger systems, for domestic or commercial.

Controls you seem to think has to be on/off if you have two boiler, we have been installing weather compensation etc that now comes in a little package for over 50 year.

Sponsored Links
Was that the one near Kings Road with pheck all mains pressure and the need for 8" shower drains?

Tottenham side Dan (Bassett road) and had 4 x 500mm sq shower roses bolted to the ceiling.

Drains are 4" normally.

The one you were thinking off was NW3 that the 4" soil couldn't take the volume. :mrgreen: if you remember you got pulled by the fuzz, for talking to me on the mobile, whilst driving with the knees and following the street map on the laptop. :mrgreen:

Tottenham side Dan (Bassett road) and had 4 x 500mm sq shower roses bolted to the ceiling.

Tottenham is a long way away!

Most would say that Bassett Rd is in Notting Hill !

I wonder which idiot had to spend most of a day to bolt together the two halves of the water tank?

Tottenham is a long way away!

Most would say that Bassett Rd is in Notting Hill !

I wonder which idiot had to spend most of a day to bolt together the two halves of the water tank?

Brains gone Tony you are right of course.

I'm the idiot that had to bolt the tank together, There was 16 sections if I remember rightly, there was about 40 bolts per section and they all had to be torque to a set pressure with mastic strips between them.

Held 1000gallons when in commission.

My inlet pipe has been changed

My mains pressure is 3 bar

My static flow rate is approx 18l/min

Thanks again

Although not correctly stated, I would interpret that to mean a static pressure of 3 Bar and an open pipe flow rate of just 18 li/min.

Thats not very encouraging for the stated requirements and would mean that 80% of the required flow would need to come from a tank and pump sets with an adequate capacity.

Tony

By the way!

What amused me about that Bassett Rd job was how such basic and expensive mistakes could be made. Massive kitchen floor with 50mm thick dished hardwood floor tiles. But so slippery that they all had to be sanded to stop everyone falling over.

Then there was a "pebble" floor with large pebbles in one bathroom which was impossible to walk on with bare feet!

I was amused by the two twin "his and hers" basins hewn from solid marble. Last thing I would want to do would be to use a basin side by side with some one else in the morning. Better to stay in bed until they had got up and brought me the coffee.

Must admit, our his 'n her's basin is seldom used in tandem so bowl two is not much more than temporary storage :LOL:

CC and I are working in a place at the moment and that damn marble floor is a death trap with the dust sheets down.

Which reminds me - I am supposed to be researching where the fricking filter is for the washing machine.... anyone know where Hoover hide their manuals?

:evil:

Very good point sir!.... Now that leads me to the next questions. Photo of it is on my mobile - where the fook is my mobile? :LOL:.

Sorry for the thread hijack Indus...

CC knows his onions BTW - not the MM doesn't either mind you ;).

Just rang your mobile to help you find it but after two rings it went to voicemail!

Better look for it in your voicemail!

Cheers bud... work mobile doesn't ring out of hours unless I have been intimate with either you or a close relative of you :LOL: Found it on charge in the van though.

And no, there are no Hoover Manuals in the CCR. There will be in the morning.

Noticed that D - I was actually missing. :?: :oops:

3) Doitall. Thanks so much for the replies. I've had a look at your profile pics, very impressive. In terms of room limitations; it is on the ground floor, it doesn't need have to have windows (can have skylights). Also I'm not building up to my boundary, so I presume flues can go anywhere along the external wall (which is not the 10ft dimension but the yet as undecided dimension.)

Thanks again to all

The booster set in the pic, and the sectional storage tank you see to the right of it.

The job in london was 6bar booster into twin unvented cylinders with a balanced cold.

What you have to consider is an average shower uses 10 ltrs/min, so two showers will be the maximum at any one time.

I invited CroydonCorgi into the party because if you are that side of London he would be recommended.

I would love to get the kit out, but A, I'm retired, and B, you probably wouldn't like my rates, but this is what I did for a living for best part of 50 years.

Thanks doitall

Are you talking about this pic? As I can only see one cylinder, unless the other is out of view?

I hope you are enjoying your retirement!

What would be the cons for a system like this?

- Total dependence on mains water supply (but not mains pressure, if you put in a booster set).

- cost, if you have already got some of the components of an alternative setup. (Though based on what you've said, you have no unvented cylinder, so you can roll the saving from not buying one into the cost of a buffer tank (actually about the same - I just fitted one that was in fact an unvented cylinder!). Cost of Rinnai more than bog-standard heating boiler - but quality costs! In fact, you may determine that your peak hot water demand is actually less than the max output of a Rinnai, so no need for a bufer tank.

BTW, if you're in the London area, Rinnai would demand softened water - otherwise lifespan severely reduced!

Not much point going for all-singing, all-dancing hot water system unless it actually delivers - so you need to think carefully about how to do 'hot loop'. (Pipe runs?)

Thanks CC

One of the biggest issues I see with this (not that I fully understand how it works!) is maintenance/repairs.

If the person who fitted it lives nearby and will come out to repair it reasonably quickly then fine. However if you call out the average plumber to repair even a minor problem it they probably won't have a clue what they are looking at.

I had this problem with my Thermal Store. The guy who fitted it emigrated. The system failed a few years back during one of the coldest, snowiest winters we have had.

Plumbers who came out to have a look (inc BG, Powergen and some decent guys who really did try) were flummoxed. It seemed that unless it was either a combi or unvented cylinder they were not familiar with how it worked.

And it probably wasn't worth their while spending hours/days trying to figure it out to just carry out what might turn out to be a minor repair.
As a result I spent a Christmas in freezing temps without hot water or heating. I don't want to ever go through that again.

I hope that makes sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back