How much to move stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I live in a Victorian terrace house where the stairs are along the side of the hall that is the internal dining room wall rather than the side which is the wall with next door (see photo). As part of other building works we are doing to the kitchen it would be beneficial if we could move the stairs to where the hall walkway is at the moment, alongside the external wall - literally just swapping the location of the stairs and hall. Can anyone give me a rough idea of cost? Happy to use same staircase etc.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 240
Sponsored Links
literally just swapping the location of the stairs and hall. Can anyone give me a rough idea of cost? Happy to use same staircase etc.
Thanks
Ah yes just swapping the stairs and hall.
It's a bigger job than first appears, it's probably not worth the expense of converting the staircase to go on the other side,
You have a curtail on the bottom step which is cut into the newel base, whilst it's possible to create a curtail right handed you will be left with a piece of missing string on the left side, also does the right hand string have a bevelled edge, which is common on Victorian terraces(stairs made with an open side and a wall side) the capping piece that the spindles sit on won't sit quite right on the other string if it has.
Nothing impossible there but time consuming and you know what that means.
You then need to rip out the ceiling re trim the landing out re-fit the stairs, moving your plumbing (radiator etc) then all the making good.
I would roughly gestimate around £3k plus

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back