how much will it cost to fit a chimney flue liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in a two storey victorian house and have an original victorian fireplace. i need to line the chimney. The top part of the chimney (the bit that sticks out of the roof) was removed years ago but the main part of the chimney from just under the roof slates and all the way down is still intact. So I would need a cowl fitted as well throught the roof. i have had two quote up to now at about 2,000 pounds all in but i would have to pay for scafolding myself which is more expence , they have both said its quite stright forward and no problems to fit. I think its a bit expensive is this price correct or not. I live in the morecambe lancaster area. how much should i be paying?

Sponsored Links
Thats not overpriced, if they are fitting the higher grade liner, with 20yr gaurantee, you wont have much change out of 1k, then you have the the fittings plus labour costs.
Are they Hetas registered, and issuing the certificate.

yes they are Hetas registered, they are fitting a 20 yr guarteen flue liner but they did say they had a highter grade liner 40yr guarteen liner but was 400 pounds more not sure about the certifacate but I shold get one as they are hetas registered. They also stated that they will be fitting a Gather System in the chimney.

The 20yr garantee liner is the 904/904 I havent heard of a liner with a 40yr gaurantee. ?

However for the 904/904 liner and all fittings, the price sounds okay.
Hetas installers should issue the certificate.

Sponsored Links
Two grand in Morecambe is a king's ransom and asking an extra £400 for a 40 year guarantee liner seems funny. You can find out the rough price of the liner alone on the internet, search for "904 904 chimney liner".

HETAS has a web site and you can search for installers by postcode. I'd try the ones registered as individuals and no harm in trying farther afield. It's a DIY job for a competent man and young lad though you would have to tell the council. I cannot blame them wanting scaffolding but there are those out there who wouldn't. When somebody wants me to arrange the scaffolding the first thing that comes into my mind is an avoidance of getting their name on paperwork that the taxman might see. It's their job to do that and not yours. You also need a document to demonstrate to any future purchasers it was done 'properly'.

As to how much you should be paying, depends, but I've been quoted £1000 in the past year to line a chimney. However if you get five quotes and they all want £2000 then that's what you have to pay. Or DIY for a bit of hassle and several hundred quid in parts and whatever the council wants for half an hours work.

Google chimney scaffold :idea: there are many that assemble like a tower scaffold around the chimney - then you have a cat ladder to get to it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back