How not to aks for a 'job' as mate or apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit related to the post on 'getting a job on a plumbers mate'.

Sure most of you get phonecalls from 'eager' persons looking for work, be it as an apprentice, 'mate', trainnee or perhaps even subcontractor. We always ask them to mail us their cv, preferably with a port-folio of former work. To be honest, we don't receive many cv's in the end ;)

Today I received an email with the subject: do you have any job vacancies for trainee.
Opening the email it revealed absolutely no text in the body, just an attachment (Word-Document: my cv).

Trashed it immediately (and not just because of fear of computer bugs ;))

When you're taking the effort to mail someone when you're looking for a job, take that little bit of extra effort and write a short introduction in the email itself and then point to the attached cv for 'further' information.

IMHO that way you have a much greater changes someone will take the effort to read it!

Sponsored Links
ive had text messages, vocie mails and similar badly spelt text worded e-mails ending in cheers mate. Guess where they all end up.

Ive also had some very good cvs, but then they go and put things in such as Hobbies.....drinking with my mates! :rolleyes:

If they put in a hates section of cv

"I hate texting and hate answering my mobile while I'm at work"

I hate going out drinking the night before I work"

They would have the job.

now if someone put that in, it would make me sit up and notice them :eek:

Sponsored Links
i e-mails ending in cheers mate.

;) that ending wouldn't put them into my good books ;)

Why does it seem so hard for some to have someone else - friend, partner, parent even - to read over what you're going to mail/post out? (I know I make mistakes too, but always grateful to anyone pointing that out to me).

I had a CV arrive the other day
it started Dear..... (nothing, not even Sir) it then went on to say I am consheentious (note the spelling!). At the end it wasn't even signed, yet it had been sent by "Career Wales". It went straight in the bin.
If they cant even be bothered, then neither can I.

woody

My Guv had pne from this matey who said and I quote

"been doing scaffolding for a wile know and rekon I could make a go at your game, I am willing to werk ard i am"

I kid you not

:)

First time I have ever been accused of being on the game I tell you

:)

had a text yesterday "hi my is tony im an experianced labourer im looking for some work do you have need of a good reliable labourer hope to hear back from you."

WHY DIDNT YOU PICK UP THE BLOODY PHONE AND SPEAK TO ME????????

had a text yesterday "hi my is tony im an experianced labourer im looking for some work do you have need of a good reliable labourer hope to hear back from you."

WHY DIDNT YOU PICK UP THE b****y PHONE AND SPEAK TO ME????????

LMAO

there are some loves out there aint there :)

Just a thought... perhaps he/she, (Tony could be female. I accept that the feminine of 'Tony' is normally written as 'Toni' but perhaps she cannot spell! ;) )... anyway, perhaps 'Tony' didn't want to disturb you and thought that it may be a more efficient use of your time and his/hers, if they made an initial contact via text.

I know lots of very good Plumbers, Sparks, Chippy's, etc who are not very good at presenting themselves. My father taught me more than I ever learned at school. I believe that a lot of schools (and some parents), just haven't got the skills to teach their kids how to make an initail approach to a prospective employer. My father always helped me draft letters. If texting had been available to me when I was young and looking for work would I have used it? Probably not. I do use email and text but I would not consider texting as an appropriate initail contact in this context. But then, my father taught me how to initiate such contacts, who have the kids of today got? As I say, just a thought...

As I say, just a thought...
and a proper one at that.

I presume everyone has somebody who could help them craft a nice introduction letter together? It's a little extra effort that could go a long way.

When we just started over here I often asked a trusted friend to help me with my grammar in letters to clients and suppliers - knowing English pretty well is sometime not enough when it comes to putting pen to paper.
Learned of lot, still make the odd mistake, but my friend is always on hand to give some more advice. As with so many things in life - ask!

Just a thought... perhaps he/she, (Tony could be female. I accept that the feminine of 'Tony' is normally written as 'Toni' but perhaps she cannot spell! ;) )... anyway, perhaps 'Tony' didn't want to disturb you and thought that it may be a more efficient use of your time and his/hers, if they made an initial contact via text.

I know lots of very good Plumbers, Sparks, Chippy's, etc who are not very good at presenting themselves. My father taught me more than I ever learned at school. I believe that a lot of schools (and some parents), just haven't got the skills to teach their kids how to make an initail approach to a prospective employer. My father always helped me draft letters. If texting had been available to me when I was young and looking for work would I have used it? Probably not. I do use email and text but I would not consider texting as an appropriate initail contact in this context. But then, my father taught me how to initiate such contacts, who have the kids of today got? As I say, just a thought...

just a thought but it comes across as lazy to me. he could have sent a text to 20 companies at the same time. im looking for someone who makes a bit of effort when i take them on.

Sponsored Links
Back