How often should my external overflow pipe be dripping?

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Just a quick one: I have a plastic overflow pipe in the loft that hangs outside of the house (between the eves of the roof), like most other 1920's houses in the area.

Thing is, it's started to spit out water almost daily, I'd say about a pint or so at least once a day, for about 20 seconds. Coupled with this I am currently investigating a mysterious stain that has appeared on the ceiling below the tank the overflow pipe is sitting above.

OK so the leak I think I can track down, but is that much water being ejected 'normal'? Are the overflow pipes only supposed to be there for emergencies? When it never used to happen at all?

Sorry for sounding like a complete doughnut, I have no idea about any of this!

Sponsored Links
A scenario that fits your description is that the F&E cistern is overflowing. If the overflow pipe connection to the cistern is leaking, then it would account for the stain on the ceiling.

The cause of the overflowing is less obvious, but common causes are:

1. F& float valve is not shutting off.
2. Dirty system is pumping over.
3. System is wrongly piped.
4. Faulty cylinder coil is letting water through to the closed circuit.

Your first step should be to go into the loft with a light, and determine which (if you have more than one) cistern is overflowing. Also see if water is constantly dripping from the float valve.

Hello all

Just a quick one: I have a plastic overflow pipe in the loft that hangs outside of the house (between the eves of the roof), like most other 1920's houses in the area.

Thing is, it's started to spit out water almost daily, I'd say about a pint or so at least once a day, for about 20 seconds. Coupled with this I am currently investigating a mysterious stain that has appeared on the ceiling below the tank the overflow pipe is sitting above.

OK so the leak I think I can track down, but is that much water being ejected 'normal'? Are the overflow pipes only supposed to be there for emergencies? When it never used to happen at all?

Sorry for sounding like a complete doughnut, I have no idea about any of this!

Big tank or little tank? Assuming you don`t have a combi & you have central heating, bit difficult this crystal ball lark innit? ;)

First find out which tank its coming from (small or large) it could be the ball valve sticking or the washer damaged. It could also be the F & E tank (small one) pumping over, if it only happens when the heatings on suspect the latter, there should only be a couple of inches of water in this tank.

Sponsored Links
Don't have a combi, it's a small tank, just taken a picture:

img4939zp3.jpg

I found the leak (it's not the dark patch under the tank in the pic, it's coming out where the nylon pipe attaches.

So it sounds like a washer or the ball valve needs replacing?

There should be a seperate overflow from the small htg feed cistern and another from the cold water cistern both discharging externally. They should not be joined together.

I found the leak (it's not the dark patch under the tank in the pic, it's coming out where the nylon pipe attaches.
...which is what I suspected. But the F&E level isn't anywhere near the overflow, so on which cistern?

So it sounds like a washer or the ball valve needs replacing?
If the valve is dripping on the CSS, then yes. An entire valve and float is less than a tenner, so I strongly advise not bothering with rewashering.

On another point, some of the work in the loft looks recent (roll of PTFE etc.). Have you just bought the house, or had some work done?

There should be a seperate overflow from the small htg feed cistern and another from the cold water cistern both discharging externally. They should not be joined together.

The other (big) tank is out of sight to the rear and right of the pic. So I should get some more pipe and ensure they are drained separately?

On another point, some of the work in the loft looks recent (roll of PTFE etc.). Have you just bought the house, or had some work done?

I had a drip coming off the nylon pipe (where it sort of bends awkwardly), so I taped that up.

I have no idea what was up in the loft, I had a family friend who owns a plumbing business sort out all the heating system about 2 years ago.

If you're gonna get picky, then why not point out all the faults?

. F&E not properly supported, or lagged, or covered.
. Gate valve on supply to F&E.
. Vent pipes not properly supported.
. Overflow not properly supported.
. Loft insulation depth inadequate.
. Most pipework not clipped.
. Roof not felted.
. Electrical cable not properly clipped.

I had a drip coming off the nylon pipe (where it sort of bends awkwardly), so I taped that up.
Winding PTFE around it is a very poor remedy, and if you knew about the leak, why didn't you mention it earlier, and why didn't you get it fixed properly? :confused:

I have no idea what was up in the loft...
If you "taped up" the overflow pipe, how could you have no idea about what was in the loft? :confused:

If you "taped up" the overflow pipe, how could you have no idea about what was in the loft? :confused:

I taped up the pipe only about a month ago. I haven't done everything to regulations and textbook standards but how am I supposed to know? I saw a drip and I taped it up as a quick fix!!!

I taped up the pipe only about a month ago.
In that case you've known for about a month what was in the loft.

I haven't done everything to regulations and textbook standards but how am I supposed to know?
You seem to be defensive about it - if you want to act on the observations, then feel free. If you want to ignore them, then feel free.

I saw a drip and I taped it up as a quick fix!!!
And did it work?

:eek: :eek: Thought you said...
Then think again, and read again, and think and read properly this time.

I said:
If the overflow pipe connection to the cistern is leaking, then it would account for the stain on the ceiling.

Then I said:
The cause of the overflowing is less obvious, but common causes are:
...and listed the common causes.[/quote]

Which were all wrong. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back