How tall can my towel rad be

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an 500x 1100 towel rad that had a bad design with thin fins - edge on mounted on the front of the uprights which meant that the resulting holes from uprights to fins mist of been about 5mm diameter. So not good for getting full flow to the top.
When the towels are on it it means that there is not a lot left doing any actual heating in the bathroom 2x3m.
I am thinking of fitting a 500x1800 so that there is empty rad rails doing some heating above the towels.
Finally ------- the question.
Will my system have any issues with the extra EXTRA tall rad.
Unvented brand new 5 years old refit and designed to run 13 rads which it has done perfectly apart from the crappy bathroom one
Grundfos 15-60 130 pump

Sponsored Links
You can put one in as large as you like, but with any change of size you'll probably need to re-balance the system

You can put one in as large as you like, but with any change of size you'll probably need to re-balance the system
Thanks for that I was hoping that was the case size wize anyway I was sort of thinking the system would not be able to "push" it up that high.
I suppose that when I get it fitted and filled and bled if I have any not as hot bars on the top then that is telling me to re ballance which I will be googling about if I have to do it

No need to Google, there's a handy FAQ right here on DIYNot ;)

Sponsored Links
Ah ok -------------- but any DIY questions i type in google usually brings me here anyway.
I once had a problem that I asked on here that could not be sorted and 5 years later I was googling the same problem and to my excitement someone had exactly the same issue so I duly clicked and looked and DAMIT is was me from 5 years ago.

Back to my rad, I have not brought it yet but it comes with plastic brackets (long screw to go through to wall ) its a tall rad and with water is going to be heavy and these plastic brackets dont look up to it, there are 4 of them white for a white rad that has 22mm tubes. Its a 1960s breeze block wall

Every towel rail I've ever fitted has had plastic brackets; unless you go for super-expensive ones that just seems to be the way it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back