How to adjust hinges to stop door sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our front door (composite or uPVC, I'm not sure which) sticks at the bottom. I could see more of a gap in the top hinge (see image 1) than the other two hinges so I tried to narrow it by turning the allen bolts you can see in images 2&3. This did seem to work - but only for a day or two.

I have a few problems/questions:
- There are allen key bolts on either side of the hinge (see images 2&3). My thinking is that I need to tighten one side and loosen the other to get the hinge to pull in (or out), i.e. to narrow or widen the gap. Is this right?
- What does the small allen key bolt in the middle do? (See image 2)
- I seem to have rounded out one of the allen key holes, probably by using the wrong size key. Is my only option to replace the hinge?
- Does anyone recognise this hinge and know where I can buy a new one?
- How do I get at the screws that are fixing the hinge to the frame?

Thanks,
Martin

Sponsored Links
I think, if you pop off the top and bottom plastic hinge covers, you may find further allen type adjustments that rotate eccentric hinge pins

Isn't the top an allen socket filled with gunge ? As you see the hinge pin is in an oval section to clearly there is hinge adjustment.

Sponsored Links
No the only adjustment on those hinges is the the large allen key heads and they only have about 3mm of adjustment.
The small one is just so you can remove the pins and take the door off.

Is the door just catching at the bottom on the hinge side? If so you need to heel and toe the door.

The door catches on the bottom side furthest from the hinges. Adjusting the allen key heads did seem to fix it- but not for long for some reason.
Is the technique to loosen one allen key head and tighten the corresponding one on the other side of the hinge?
If I've rounded out one of the allen key heads is my only option to replace the hinge?

No the only adjustment on those hinges is the the large allen key heads and they only have about 3mm of adjustment.
The small one is just so you can remove the pins and take the door off.

Is the door just catching at the bottom on the hinge side? If so you need to heel and toe the door.

It's a composite door so can't be toe and heeled unless you mean doing it with the frame

True, He said he wasnt sure but I can see it in the 2nd photo now. In that case it cant be toe and healed.
Is it still under guarantee? If so get the fitters to come back and sort it as the hole frame needs moving and refixing.

Yes I would imagine the frame hasn't been put in square and those hinges don't have enough adjustment to overcome it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back