How to attach wooden supports for shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. New DIYer here so please be gentle. I am trying to put up some mdf shelves in my cupboard. I am going to support the selves on two wooden supports drilled into the wall (not concrete). The supports are 5cm thick. Do I drill a pilot whole in the piece of support wood and then drill the screw threw that and into the wall? Also should I put a raw plugs into the wall for the screw to sit in? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Drill a clearance hole in your shelf bearers - this allows the screw shank (not the head) to pass through. You may need to counterbore the hole - 50mm bearers are bloomin' thick!
You'll be able to mark the wall through the end bearer hole - use a 6 or 8mm plastic plug. (Presumably the wall is brick, breeze or similar, but not timber). Then use a spirit level to get the first bearer perfect, and mark the second from that.
(We've just done a very similar post that you might like to look at).
John :)

Thanks so much for the reply and they are 15mm no 50 (doh!). How do I find your other post?

15 to 20mm is about the norm, but you still drill a hole through that will just accept the screw shaft. After that, countersink the hole so you can fill it afterwards.
In the General DIY section, look at the Rawlplugs post, started by Quilted and hopefully you'll get some pointers there.

Sponsored Links
I found it, thanks so much for your help John! I will no doubt be asking some more questions :)

what length width and thickness is your shelve ??
and what is going onto it??

Hi it's 92cm x 30cm x 1.5cm and it will hold tibs of food etc as its a pantry cupboard.

Unfortunately expect MDF to sag in the middle big time.....you could help things a bit by having a bearer at the back.
15mm is too thin!
Consider ply (with a lipped timber edge if it will be seen) or maybe those solid pine sanded shelves that you can get from the big DIY sheds?

I was going to put a put a bearer along the back too. I think there will be 2-3kg on each shelf at most. Would you guys stuff expect mdf that thickness to sag?

Use 18mm mdf, the 15mm is harder to come by and 18mm being the most popular stocked size if often cheaper than the 15mm.
You could put in a vertical divider thru center of each shelf thru to floor , rock solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back