How to avoid drilling into pipes when screwing floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a creaky floor and am planning to put some screws into it to stop this, however my main worry is that I will end up drilling into the heating pipes, is there any way to avoid this? Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
It may sound like a lot of work but the only really sure way is to lift the board before you fix it back down.
Saying that , it is sometimes common to find pipe runs under screwed boards whilist the rest of the floor may be nailed especially in older buildins that have had heating fitted at a later date.
I'd still lift though.

i was caught out once like this
had to lay a laminate floor on top off ply that was a bit springy
to reduce the spring i angled a screw in 3mm from the nail to follow the nail into the exact same area
lazy 5cuk1n barsteward :eek: :eek: :eek:
they had recycled 12mm ply and instead off removing the nails they just bent them over
at that point i turned off the gas told them to sort it out themselves as i wouldnt be back because off there stupidity i had put a screw through the gas pipe:cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back