How to be a good customer ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Uanble to rely on recommendations I am having to plunge my toe into the murky work of Yellow Pages for a builder.

I have read the comments on here about troublesome customers - so bearing in mind I am a novice/ignorant regarding the building work I need done how do I go about getting he best from 'my builder' and their quote whilst ensuring that everything is covered and no little bits get added on.

All advice welcome.

Heidi

Sponsored Links
Mattylad you forgot 'free use of the phone' ;)

Ask and expect a written quotation for a start and not an 'estimate'..a quotation is more of a fixed price.

Ask him to itemise the work you want doing so your both clear on whats to be done..and equally important whats NOT to be done.

Dont ask him to separate labour and materials, it can put some peoples backs up...after all, your more or less asking him what he earns.

Agree payments, how much and how often.

If he says he needs money up front for materials..ditch him, any tradesman worth their salt should have a credit account.

Ask what needs to be moved...nothing worse than walking into a job and the customer hasnt bothered to shift a thing ..you often get the 'i forgot you were coming'...yeh right, they wouldnt have forgot if you hadnt have turned up beleive me!..in customer speak this means 'im paying you..you move it'

Make sure he or she has insurance and ask to see it, again a decent tradesman will offer it.

Haggling..its up to you, personally you might be better to tell the builder you want a straight price, no knock odwn discounts on the night, no gettng back to you with a better deal or matching someone else price..explain to them that you have told the other people quoting for the job the same thing. If they say '£xx.xx how does that sound' on the night they are probably waiting for you to knock them down, thus..thy have 'stuck a bit on'..just say you'll let them know.

For my part, if a customer asked for money off I would either say no..or not do the job, some people just have to have 'a deal' I have have given people a price of say 500 quid and the first thing out of their mouths is 'what about 400'...not even knowing what I was going to do for that price..

Qualifications...hmm..I know loads of great trades people who have never set foot in a college and loads of lousey ones who have qualifications coming out of their ears...

Go with the quote and the person you feel most comfortable with..not the one who is the cheapest.

Look for trade association memberships and check them out with that association..dont take their word for it..there are thousands of tradespeople out there who claim to be member of vairous assocications and aint..

Good luck

If he says he needs money up front for materials..ditch him, any tradesman worth their salt should have a credit account.
Do pay for materials delivered, they are yours then and keeps your builder's cash-flow, well, flowing.

Also, do expect to pay a small amount upfront: commitment from you (happens too often client changes their minds on the day the works should start), the amount can be agreed up on, never pay all up front.

Sponsored Links
All points well received.

I always make tea and coffee regularly for any tradesperson that comes round - I have gone as far as biscuits but they have consistently been declined (yes, they were HobNobs).

I also always clear the area work is being done in - so so far i seem to be doing ok.

Sometimes it is just confusing as I know I need x, y and z done but as I am not a builder and builders aren't mind readers I just worry that I forget to metion important bits.

Interesting about the quote vs extimate thingy

Hmmm, deposit or no deposit, 1st payments, credit accounts.

Am perplexed but understandably so I feel.

Surely paying for the materials brings me back to an earlier point I queries as to whether I should be asking for materials and labour to be seperate on the quote.

I would.
Don't get me wrong, but we - as business - specify all materials if it is supply only and if supply and install we also specify which part of the total is for labour. Never a problem, more a benefit really. Our clients see exactly where they are paying for. Other trades/competitors say: but then they will 'shop' around so I won't specify.

Well, there's our benefit: how can someone compare an 'all-in-one-figure' quote with a specified quote? ;)

Just be nice, offer cups of tea, bacon butties etc...

But at the same time don't stand there all day tradesmen hate being watched over it is the most annoying thing.

You don't have to do much to be honest, if you are a nice guy that goes a long way in itself.

Ive been to a few jobs were the customer is an absolute tw*t, and my boss has been like, right we are gonna nail his f*ckin hat on, bangs more on the bill, and doesn't care as much about the work done. Yes it sounds bad but who wants to do a really good job for an a** hole?

Do pay for materials delivered, they are yours then and keeps your builder's cash-flow, well, flowing.

Also, do expect to pay a small amount upfront: commitment from you (happens too often client changes their minds on the day the works should start), the amount can be agreed up on, never pay all up front.

if you pay for materials check that they are yours. Many suppliers have a clause that states that until they have been paid for they have the right to remove them, despite what the builder may say.

personally i treat my clients the way i would like to be treated. I work with them and keep a site clean and treat the place and the neighbours with respect.

It helps i im treated the same way in return and normally i never have a problem. Let your neighbours know youre having work done and there may be disruption. Nothing worse than 1 hour into a job, deliveries turning up on a tight schedule and a neighbour is out whinging and holding things up. Communication is the key. If youre unsure of anything ask. Id rather a client asked me while im doing something so they can ask for it to be changed than on the last day, by which time i havent got the tools or materials i need to change things around easily.

I also like a client that is around to give decisions as it keeps the work flowing, but in the main keeps out of the way to let you get on with it. My guys love clients that come out every hour with bacon sandwiches, tea etc. I hate it as i feel i have to stop and be sociable and we get less work done that way. The odd cuppa through the day is fine!

Its also nice to get a little feedback as you go. If youre happy with it all, let them know. We did a job a few years ago where we did a whole garden re-design that took about three weeks. The client virtually never spoke to us the whole way through the job. In the end i went to them and asked and they were overjoyed with what we were doing but just kept themselves to themselves.

Sponsored Links
Back