How to best mortice out a door jamb / frame ... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey ... just bought a really great bit of kit to help me fit loads of locks - basically a jig that clamps to the door and allows you to use a power drill to rout out a perfectly centred mortice which will accept the lock and face plate.

However ... the jig is too narrow to enable one to then fit it to a door jamb or door frame. I have looked high and low on the internet to see how joiners normally go about the routing on a door frame, and just can't find ANYTHING! Is this some sort of dark secret art? Or is it just a case of drilling out with a wide flat bit, and then chiselling out everything else by hand?

Any tips/ideas/secrets would be very gratefully received ...

Sponsored Links
wouldve thought within the kit you would have the jig to enable the cutouts on the frames/linings?

look on ebay for lock jigs etc.

or if you can do it ,make up a couple of home made jigs.

you say you can use an ordinary drill, instead of a router?

have you got a link?

you normally use the keep as a guide to chisel out the shape a job not really suited to a jig ??

Sponsored Links
This link for John D:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...e_locks_and_latches/55011/dbb_morticer/247397

It does work very well ... but as I say, it can only cope with doors up to 55mm thick.

gregers - I think you're right, I'll have to make my own jig up and use a router rather than the DBB morticer. Just find the whole chisel & mallet thing very time consuming, and love the cleanliness of something routed!

Just use a drill to make mortice and clean up with a chisel, matter of minutes.
Thumb plane helps sink any plates.

Thanks - I'll look at a thumb plane, hadn't heard of that before.

Well - now done three with just drill & chisel - actually, you're right, doesn't take too long, and is quite flexible in a way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back