How to change a shower pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I need to change my shower pull cord - can some tell how i need to install it.

This is how i think i need to fit it,

on the feed the side of the switch black cable goes in the N
and Red Cables goes in the L

Then the same on the load side ,

then connect the earth cables.

how will i now which black and red is for feed? what happens if i do them the wrong way round?

Sponsored Links
HI

I need to change my shower pull cord
Why?

can some tell how i need to install it.
Carefully so as to ensure that the connections are tight and that neither they nor the cables are stressed when you push them back into the box.

And you should revisit the connections after a few days and then again after a few weeks to check that they are still tight.

how will i now which black and red is for feed?
By testing or by looking at the old switch before you take it off and marking the cables.

what happens if i do them the wrong way round?
If the switch has a neon it will stay on all of the time.

thanks

I need to change because the old one stoped working,

thanks for the help i will give it go

hi

I have fiited the new swicth seems to be woking fine , it was bit hard to get both earths in same terminal as the mk swicth only had one. kind of cracked the case a little when put it all back to togther i overtightened too much, but all working. does anybody know why on the mk model you have to pull the cord twice to turn it on? when it is on if you pull the cord it turns off then if you pull again it red plastic cover the on/off then if pull it again it says on and light come on and shower starts working?

thank you for all the help

Sponsored Links
If the switch has been cracked when installing, it is now useless and must be replaced.

The fact it no longer works properly (i.e. needs 2 pulls to turn on) is just confirmation of this.

Your switch is probably faulty.

You need a new one. I suggest you use an Ashley one. They have two earth terminals and are a better switch in my opinion. The MK ones are quite stiff to pull.

hi

The fact it no longer works properly (i.e. needs 2 pulls to turn on) is just confirmation of this.

it need two pulls before i installed it , so i do think the crack had to do with anything with that , it working fine just needs two pull do you think it is say to safe leave it on as it working or buy new one and reinstall.

Whether you cracked the box or the switch, it needs replaced (either or).

Unless MK have changed their switches recently it should not need 2 pulls to operate.

i was thinking of leaving it untill it stopped working again because it on rcd and if any damp got inside should trip the switch and cut the power. but judging for your resposnes it is better to replace it right now.

were it best place to buy them because screwfix only have the mk one I brought and volex or marbo ones.

Cheaper makes of shower pull switches tend to pack up quicker.

Mind you, shower pull switches tend to go wrong more frequently than anything else.

Apart from poor materials, shower switches can also go wrong by overheating if the terminals are not tightened enough.

Even if you do tighten the terminals well, just bending the wires to fit nicely into the back box can loosen them.

So before you screw the faceplate on, give all the terminals a final check with the screwdriver.

i was thinking of leaving it untill it stopped working again because it on rcd and if any damp got inside should trip the switch and cut the power. but judging for your resposnes it is better to replace it right now.

were it best place to buy them because screwfix only have the mk one I brought and volex or marbo ones.
Whats your nationality?

If your RCD trips, its a fair bet that it'll plunge you into darkness too while you're naked and wet in the bathroom . . You dont want this.

But moisture is not an issue here, its just integrity of the installation. The steam found in the bathroom is not enough to cause current to flow, and there probably wont be much condensation on a warm shower switch. Standard electrical accesories aren't watertight either, even when over tightened. . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back