How to Change a Tap Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have mercy upon my innate ineptitude ....

Bog standard Prestex tap. (Well downstairs loo). Probably cheap and cheerful when a previous owner had them fitted. Difficult to control water flow at low rates, bit stiff etc so my brain says "change the washer".

L6I0KAx.jpg
29u1QJp.jpg

Unscrewed the top plate, looks like every other basin tap underneath, so just lift off the cap right? Doesn't budge. I've tapped it with a rubber hammer on the sides and the top. I've added a few drops of Plusgas. I've dripped descaler on it. Nothing. I'm stumped. I'm scared to be too brutal in case I end up with two half sinks and a scene from a 1980s sitcom.

I've ruled out the option of replacing the tap completely - just seems a little OTT for a sticky washer.

So I appeal to the Tap Gurus who inhabit this hallowed forum ... what trick am I missing??

Sponsored Links
Usually levering under the shroud at the bottom of the tap head will shift stubborn ones.

Bit hard to explain without a picture, but use an adjustable spanner opened so it fits around the tap body, pad the spout with rag, slip the adjustable under the bottom of the head and lever against the spout / body.

Sort of tried that this with a small crowbar. Turned the top 1/4 turn each time and gave it a jiggle. Didn't budge :(

Sponsored Links
If it's difficult, sometimes better to take the taps off basin to tackle them in a vice. Better than breaking the basin.

I'd been thinking about some sort of extractor tool. Didn't want to hear "You daft begger, it's a special Prestex cap. Turn fully anticlockwise, face south and say the magic words" type of thin.

Anyway, had a rack around in my bits boxes and saved myself £25 quid.
3JHRSdF.jpg

And it did this
oSxrzFh.jpg

Good clean up, new washer in, tap working properly again. :D

An Engineer can do for a shilling what a Fool can do for a Pound...

as my Grandad's next door neighbour once said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back