How to change garage lock without key?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lost my garage key. It quite an old style T Handle lock. I don't know what to do in this situation. If i unscrew the lock, would it let me open the garage door. Door goes up when you open it and slide inside. How much lock smith will charge for this? I dont want to spend too much money on this. Hope i can do it myself if there's any trick?[/url]

Sponsored Links
Picture would be great, but I'm going to assume you've a henderson type T handle with the key going into the middle of the handle.

If you can get inside via another door, then the handle can be replaced easily by disconnecting the cables/bars and unscrewing the handle from the rear. Just make sure you get a handle with the same type spindle.

If you cannot get in, then I would suggest calling a locksmith who'll have it opened in seconds. You can then either get him/her to fit a new handle, or supply/fit your own. Expect to pay around £40-£50 for the opening, and £20-£30 for a new handle. Prices will depend on your location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back