how to clean this shower head? (limescale build up)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a crosswater shower head very similar to this one:

every week or 2, limescale builds up in each of the nozels and makes it less effective as a shower.

The only way I know to clean is to remove the head, spray cillet bang through it (which doesn't really work) and then pain stakingly try to clean each nozel with tweezers.

Or when in the shower use my finger nails as the pressure of the shower helps push the limescale out, but this is also quite long to do.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any other easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance
W

Sponsored Links
..agreed, white vinegar is usually effective, either soak the shower head in it for a few hours, or use a sprayer and just spray white vinegar into the openings.

Sponsored Links
Another vote for white (distilled) vinegar. For more potency, dissolve citric acid crystals in the vinegar. You can buy packs of it from ebay and it's chemically compatible with most materials you'll find in the bathroom/kitchen incl metals.

I'm also supplied with hard London water but don't find it such a problem. I think you have a shower head that's particularly prone to chalking up.

For more potency, dissolve citric acid crystals in the vinegar. You can buy packs of it from ebay and it's chemically compatible with most materials you'll find in the bathroom/kitchen incl metals.

Citric acid is also available from home brewing shops.

You may find the problem reduces if you run the shower cold after use, since there will be less evaporation of the remaining water.

A brief anecdote about water softeners...

The day before contracts were due to be exchanged on a house my friend was buying, he received a panicky phone call from the then owner saying the combi boiler had packed up. Intruiged (or maybe just nosey), I went round with him. Tiny, transluescent, brown beads flowed out of every cold tap we turned on. Something within the water softener had ruptured and released ion exchage resin into the water system, including into the boilers hot water heat exchanger. Oh dear!

A Worcester Bosch engineer called the next day (my mate was now the home owner). We didn't say anything - just showed him the beads in the bath and he knew immediately what the problem was as he'd seen it before (and he was only a young lad). Took ages to dismantle, flush and change some parts. Previous owner was decent enough to pick up the tab.

Moral: Be sure to fit a filter (not sure what size?) on the outlet of any water softeners you use.

Hi Guys,

I have a crosswater shower head very similar to this one:

every week or 2, limescale builds up in each of the nozels and makes it less effective as a shower.

The only way I know to clean is to remove the head, spray cillet bang through it (which doesn't really work) and then pain stakingly try to clean each nozel with tweezers.

Or when in the shower use my finger nails as the pressure of the shower helps push the limescale out, but this is also quite long to do.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any other easier way to do this?

Thanks in advance
W
If it’s the type that has those rubber nozzles, I have the same problem. To clear it, all I do is give the shower head a scrub with a nail brush while it’s running. Literally doesn’t take more than ten seconds.

White vinegar and a toothbrush specifically for this job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back