How to connect an electric towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am installing an en-suite bathroom from scratch.
I have connected a spur from the upstairs lighting circuit to an earthed 13A FCU (outside the bathroom) with a 3A fuse in and then connected to 3x 50w (zone 3) downlighters and a timer fan with a downlighter (20w fan + 20w 12v light) via a pullcord in the bathroom.

This all works perfectly, I have now however just purchased a bathroom safe 250w electric towell radiator, my question is should i connect this to the same circuit (earthed) or spur from a mains ring through another FCU?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh dear...?

Is this an issue, I was told by a supposed electrician that a separate circuit with an RCD was not necessary just for lighting?

When you turn the switched spur off, do the lights in the bathroom go out?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the switched fuse is before the lights and the fan.
The pull cord turns on the lights and the fan. The fused spur was only supposed to be an additional safety measure.

There are only 2 bulbs on the upstairs lighting circuit as it is a very small house.

If the switched fuse turns off the lights & fan, I can see why you have chosen to do it this way - so that you can safely isolate the timer fan. Without a triple pole isolator, this is the only safe way to do it. Also, some fan manufacturers call for their products to be fused down from 5/6A to 3A.

However, it has an obvious disadvantage - the bathroom lights go out as well!

You could always fit a triple pole fan isolator in the feed to the fan. This will allow you to isolate the fan without cutting power to the bathroom lighting.

thanks

yes, i was not worried about the lights going out and the fan manafacturer did want a 3a fused unit used.

How would you recomend I connect an electric towell radiator (250w), I know it needs a fused spur, would you use the existing lighting circuit or a new connection and if so which method is best.

IMO, a connection from an RCD protected power circuit is best, as although 250W is not a great load, the heater may be upgraded in the future to a more powerful unit.

Don't forget to site the product in an appropriate zone & also that the flex outlet (Best put the spur outside the room) is suitably located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back