How to convert 2-way switches to 1-way?

pop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my room, I have 2 lights, let's call them L1 and L2. Both lights have 2-way switches mounted at 2 locations, A & B. In other words, A and B have 2 buttons each.

Now, I would like to convert them into 1-way switches such that A controls L1 only and B L2 only. Is it as simple as disconnecting the L2 wires from A and L1 wires from B? Or is it more complicated than this?

Please advise. Thks.

Sponsored Links
depends on how who ever installed it wired them.

you will need to remove the "strapper" cable from the switch (thats the 3 core and earth one) that will leave you with 2 cores one in L1 and one in L2, move the one that is in L2 to C

if how ever you want to do this at both switches and both have their "strapper" cables starting at the same end then you will need to use the red and yellow to "extend" the two cables which are in L2 and L1 (put them in connector blocks)

then you will nead to do at theother end as i first mentioned.

the now unused cables can be cut off, but i would put them into connector blocks just incase you change your mind at a later date.

also for future reference, read my signature and keep the drawing you now have safe.

thks breezer. looks like I will have to open up the switches first and examine what's in there before I venture any further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back