How to debark/whittle cherry tree branch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Please excuse my complete ignorance when it comes to this subject as I have never done anything like this before.

Basically, I have a beautiful branch from a Cherry Fruit Tree and I want to take the bark off and make it into a smooth stick. When I say smooth I just mean smooth to the touch, not rough, I don't want it to be dead straight or anything.

Anyway, my question is: Does any body have any good tips about how I should go about debarking this baby? I literally have no idea so even if it is just the basics, please tell me everything you know because I know nothing! Primarily, I want to know about it debarking it but also want to know what to do to it once the bark has been removed.

Thanks a lot chaps, I look forward to reading your replies. (Hopefully!)

Sophia

Sponsored Links
Is this a fresh cut branch in which case it will be quite easy or an old dry branch which will take more work?

Jason

Again, sorry for being such an ignoramus but how can I tell if it is 'alive' or 'dead'?

Sponsored Links
If its been cut from a tree it will be dead although the stored up sap etc can still produce leaves from the "dead" branch.

The traditional tool used for de barking is a spud but one would be a bit unwealdy for a branch unless it was a big tree. You just want something with a reasonable cutting edge that you can get under the bark and lever it off with, something like a 1" wood chisel would be the easiest. A draw knife is another option but they can be a bit dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Here is a guy peeling a log using a spud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdBdSlwMtUk

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back