How To Dilute Spirits Of Salts To Clean Heat Exchanger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit delayed doing my Turbomax's plate heat ex, meant to do it weeks ago. Anyway, definitely doing it this weekend. Couple of questions;

1) What ratio of water to spirits of salt should I mix up to pour into scaled water side of exchanger?

2) How long is best to leave the adid/water mix in the exchanger?

3) Don't think the primary side of exchanger is a problem, but if I find flakes in it, how best to clean this side?

Many thanks - all advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
>>BUMP<<

Any advice guys? Will be doing it this weekend. Don't want to melt my heat exchanger!! :eek: :eek:

:LOL: Thanks to all.

Always use it neat , never holed or melted one yet. :p when it stops 'fizzing' wash it out (couple of minutes) , don't breath it in or spill it over the tarmac.

Stand at arms length when you pour it as it will spit , also have a hose pipe running at the ready.

Sponsored Links
11%? , have you ever had any results? :eek:

Is 11% dilution an industry standard? :D

Is it accepted industry practice to clean metal (cast iron, SS or aluminium?) heat exchangers with hydrochloric acid solution?

I would say use it at about 11%. So add one part 32% into two parts water!

And use cold!

Tony

Thanks for your reply.

I'm confused by the maths though. One part acid to two parts water is 33%, not 11%? Can you confirm the mix acid/water please.

Thanks to all who replied.

I said one part of 32 % which is the standard concentration that HCl is supplied at.

It is reasonably safe when used cold on stainless steel plate HEs and fairly safe if used for a short time on copper HEs.

It should never be used on Al or Fe !

Any acid should only be used by someone who has taken the necessary precautions and knows how to handle acids!

Tony

I said one part of 32 % which is the standard concentration that HCl is supplied at.

So where does the 11% come into it? :confused:

There is no 'standard concentration' , all depends on how bad the hex is scaled , 11% dilution will do jack ****e on the least scaled hex. ;)

Used to watch the ole man in the early 70's clean the hex's on the ascot water heaters , never would they think about diluting the SOS. ;) , hex out and cleaned within 5 minutes.

I think you are missing the point. HCl is supplied at 32% in all normal easy supply situations.

I find that about 11% is a good compromise between speed of reaction and safety to both the skin and to the parts being cleaned.

Tony

:LOL: :LOL:

Nothing to do with the skin , all we are concerned about is cleaning the fookn hex , job done. :p

I dont know why you say that! Have you been drinking?

I use HCl regularly and try to buy it in 25 litre drums!

Since I rarely wear the gloves as I should do its important to me to use acids at a concentration that is not going to burn me if I splash a little on my skin although I do rinse it immediately if that has happened.

Tony

Sorry if I have started something. :oops:

I see what Agile is getting at now, please correct me if I am wrong. When I go to the ironmongers, the bottle will likely be 32% strength. But, you're saying I need a strength a third of this, so mix 2 parts water to 1 part acid. The mix will then be approx 11% strength.

Didn't realise it was so technical.

To confuse the issue someone else says use neet.

So, what is a Turbomax's heat ex likely to be made of? Would neet damage it?

Thanks guys.

Sorry if I have started something. :oops:

I see what Agile is getting at now, please correct me if I am wrong. When I go to the ironmongers, the bottle will likely be 32% strength. But, you're saying I need a strength a third of this, so mix 2 parts water to 1 part acid. The mix will then be approx 11% strength.

Didn't realise it was so technical.

To confuse the issue someone else says use neet.

So, what is a Turbomax's heat ex likely to be made of? Would neet damage it?

Thanks guys.

No! ALWAYS add the acid to the water!

The Turbomax HE is made of copper!

To dissolve body parts, whilst HCl works OK on clean bones, you need Nitric acid to dissolve flesh!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back