How to disable unused ADT telephone line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an ADT alarm before but cancelled.
Unfortunately or deliberately? ADT ENGINEERS did not disconnect the system.

1. whenever there's a electric cut-out, the alarm comes on AND it still dialed out and I am being charged for this. it's an 0870 number.

2. no help from ADT as they want to charge extra for coming to disconnect. The ADT engineer's in the first place never bothered to disconnect. this seems to be a scam or unprofessional practice.

HELP and ADVISED, PLEASE.

- Can I disconnect myself? If yes, how please.
- If not, other advises without having to pay an arm and leg.
- I live in Braintree, Essex.

I am thinking of complaining to consumer advice/watchdog for their unprofessional practice. Beware with ADT if anyone considering getting an alarm system from them.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you have cancelled your contract with Adt and it is still dialling the monitoring station then you will need to disconnect the phone line from the alarm system.
This will then cause a fault on the alarm saying line fault and you possibly would not be able to arm the system due to that fault
You need to turn off the monitoring and line fault function on the alarm and this can only be done with access to the engineering code which Adt will not give you
Your opinion is to factory default the control panel and re program or pay for an engineer to reprogram the system
You would need a company that use the galaxy range of controls to get it re programmed or you could do it yourself if you know how

I have done a few of these in the past, ADT still earning from the 0845 line even after contact is cancelled.
If line is cut you will get a telephone fault message which may include a bleep from internal sounder. System needs to be programmed to not look for telephone line this is done via engineer menu which is code protected (enginner/installer code) Good news is that this can be unlocked but requires an alarm enginner who is familier with Galaxy panels. I'm guessing its a Galaxy by the way?

Sponsored Links
sparkymarka:
Will try the barring the number and see if it works.

Service Engineer:
Unsure whether it is a Galazy. have taken photos see if I can post here.

Sparkymarka,
When there's a power cut, the alarm is connected and it's calling out to ADT. Can I still bar?

If it's barred it can't call ! Only issue if it reports fail to communicate , not sure on Galaxy
Does it go off in a power cut ? If so sounds like it needs a new battery ! If that's the case you would be better getting a local company to come out and reprogram and replace the battery

Can I replace the battery myself? I meant is it doable by myself who have limited knowledge.
I see the box where the battery is. is it as simple as take out n replace? do I need to switch off mains first?
Thanks
Jon

Yes
First get yourself a 7.0 ah battery
Open panel and enter your code to stop alarm sounding
Disconnect old battery and fit new battery
Put lid back on control panel and reset alarm with your code
Simples!!!!

Handymanjo,
Thanks. I am not sure if I still have code. If I cannot locate code, what next?
Blurred on this.
Thanks again.
Jon

Whats the actual system. Send photos of the control panel. You may be able to default the codes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back