How to dismantle dripping 1/4 turn Tap - Traditional-style ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a traditional style 1/4 turn pillar tap in my kitchen (see photo). It's at least 7 years old.
Over the last few weeks it has started dripping and it is getting worse.

I don't know the manufacturer or make.

View media item 45703
Neither myself nor my plumber can work out how to dismantle it to access the ceramic cartridge.

- The handle and spindle appear to be all one piece.
- The cover unscrews but not far enough (even with the handle fully turned open) to reveal any internals that can be unscrewn.
- The 4 "wings on the handle do not unscrew.
- The "Cold" cap on top of the handle is fixed firmly in place.

The only thing remaining that my plumber suggests is to twist very hard anti-clockwise on the handle to see if that unscrews the internals. This doesn't feel right. We have tried tentatively but nothing budges and I am worried that if we twist harder we will break the handle or spindle.

Does anyone recognise the make/model or have any suggestions ?

Many thanks in advance, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering what you can see when cover is lifted as far as possible?.
There must be either a hexagon or perhaps a 'notch' to take a 'C' type spanner.
perhaps it just needs a thin spanner?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, the cover only lifts about 5mm and all that is revealed is a smooth circular surface. There is nothing for even a thin spanner to get hold of and no notches.

Just wondering if you managed to solve your problem.
The cover was placed over the spindle before the handle was fitted, so the handle must come off.
The handle must be secured to the spindle by either:
screw under the 'cold' disc.
screw or pin through side of handle into spindle.
Dealing with the bottom end, is it not possible to make a notch by drilling a 3mm hole 3mm deep and making a 'C' spanner, or any chance of filing two flats and making a thin spanner to fit the flats.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Mandate.

Problem not solved yet.

Next steps I think must be to drill through the "Cold" cap to remove it and see if there is a concealed screw underneath.

If not, I may have to consider your other suggestions.

Regards, Steve.

The Handle and Spindle appear to be one piece but I think my next step still needs to be the same.

Try using a thin knife blade to flip out the cover. You should find a screw underneath.

Another idea that might just work!.
unscrew and lift the cover with tap open.
Wrap strong polyurethane string around the exposed area, it must be anti clockwise ( to undo)and fairly tight. A good few turns will be needed so it will tighten on itself.
You will then need piece of wood (with hole to accommodate the string) to use to give extra leverage.
Cost nothing, so worth a try

Holding the butterfly wings tightly try to turn the 'cold' disc anti-clockwise with the thumb of your other hand. (pouring HOT water over the tap first may help it to expand and ease the internal threads if it is a screw fit).
The disc has to come out as the handle will be secured internally by a small screw into the top of the spindle. As Mandate says, the handle may be secured by a small screw or pin under the wings. DO NOT drill any holes. There will be a way of removing the handle.

leaking_tap_1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back