How to drain down system (and refill) if no outlet ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Bathroom proceeds okay (albeit a bit slowly) mainly thanks to questions being answered on these forums.

I have another question I need help with.

I want to remove the existing old fashioned radiator for a few weeks so I can do the wall behind then replace it with a new shiny radiator.

Having read a variety of bits of advice about draining/freezing etc I've decided to drain it as I want to make sure there's inhibitor in there.

What is the process for draining/refilling if there's no visible outlet ?

Also I'm not sure how to get the water back in afterwards, there's a pipe attached to my Ferrolli Modena boiler with a tap/valve on, which when you turn it the pressure goes back up, do I use that to refill after having drained ?

And (last thing) how do I introduce the inhibitor ?

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Sponsored Links
if i was you i would call a plumber out to do this becuause it is quite confusing if you dont know how to do it and a plumber could do it in 1/2 a day drain down, get the tails ready aswell introduce the inhibator into the system (becuase there are a couple of ways you can and cant do it becuase your system might be sealed or vented)

Sounds like you have a combi boiler and assuming it is... if post a little long I copied and pasted from old post I wrote for somebody. I'm not a CH expert but have fitted a few rads.

Turn boiler off (ideally at fused spur). Do not use boiler at all if no water in CH circuit.

If you can find a drain point: Fix hosepipe to a drain pipe on one of the downstairs rads (or might be a drain off point near boiler) and drain off an amount of water to outside drain or garden (you'll see combi boiler pressure drop from whatever it is, likely between 1 bar and 2 bar... eventually to zero). Keep draining until you have emptied the rads (you will need to open the rad air bleed screws - starting at the top of the house and gradually working down - to allow air in, which in turn allows water out the hosepipe - essentially you are getting rid of a vaccum that would otherwise prevent draining). Take care that you are not just draining a "drop down leg of pipework" - this is okay but don't then go and work somewhere else thinking everywhere is empty.

If no visible drain point then you'll just have to choose a low radiator and close both the TRV (switch it to off or lowest setting) and lock shield valve (this then means that the rad is cut off from the circuit). Then carefully drain the ONE rad only by loosening the connection between the rad and the lockshield valve and letting the water flow into a paint tray or something suitable (open bleed valve on rad to allow air in). Be ready to tighten connection as water fills paint tray as rads hold a lot. When rad is empty you can then think about rest of water in circuit (under pressure still!). Obviously if you now open the lock shield valve or the TRV then water will spurt out... what can you insert or attach to this? For example on the TRV next to my desk now I could insert 15mm pipe (inc. olive and nut from a 15mm iso valve or compression fitting) into the TRV, tighten it up and then attach hose to that with a jubilee clip... then switch on TRV and water will be off and away.

TOP TIP: If a rad is taken out but the flow and return still pressurised then be aware a TRV can open if the temperature in the room drops enough due to frost setting sort of thing..

When re-filling you do this using the combi boiler filling loop (boiler still off). Google some pics to see what one looks like but sounds like you found it already. Stop at 1 bar pressure and then bleed downstairs rads (so water filling from bottom of house upwards)... pressure will drop so top up to 1 bar and bleed again and continue this bleeding all rads inc. upstairs. When no air in all rads pressure up the system to what it should be (likely 1 bar to 2 bar - check your boiler manual). You should add some inhibitor (early in this process - add inhibitor whilst drained down, either via pipework at TRV or by taking bleed valve out and putting in top of rad)..

I add inhibitor via a rad: take out the top bung (like the air bleed screw but just a blank). Insert one end of a 15mm iso valve and gently tighten. On other end of iso valve is small length of copper pipe connected to small length of hose and then funnel. Pour inhibitor into funnel which then flows thru hose and past iso valve into rad (make sure iso valve open lol). You may need to open opposite air bleed valve to allow air to escape as inhibitor enters. One can add inhibitor like this at any time - just drain down some water, add inhibitor to a upstairs rad, then refill.

I am not a CH expert ... I'm sure somebody will chip in if I am wrong or have missed anything.

Dont drain it.

Shut the Auto Air Vent on the boiler, release the water pressure. (Crack an easy connection) and work at your leisure.

Dave

Sponsored Links
taking the rad off the wall if you can have a spear hand: shut of both sides of the rad, vent the rad this will release the prussure in the rad, loosen slightly both sides of the valve, gently undo one side and pull it away from the rad and put your thumb over it get a friend or someone who will help when you shout help :) and get them to do the same once done that flip the rad over so now your thumbs are at the top, now remember the rad is full of black SLUDGE and this will NOT come out of carpets, get rid of the water one way or another preferable out side becuase this could stain your toliet, basin and bath ect..

taking the rad off the wall if you can have a spear hand: shut of both sides of the rad, vent the rad this will release the prussure in the rad, loosen slightly both sides of the valve, gently undo one side and pull it away from the rad and put your thumb over it get a friend or someone who will help when you shout help :) and get them to do the same once done that flip the rad over so now your thumbs are at the top, now remember the rad is full of black SLUDGE and this will NOT come out of carpets, get rid of the water one way or another preferable out side becuase this could stain your toliet, basin and bath ect..

Incase you follow this I just want to tell you...

Open the nut (on just one) valve for a minute or 2 and drain into a small container, then emptying that into a larger bucket before you open the air vent.

And remember to SHUT THE VENT before flipping the rad or the black sludge will just come out of the vent.

Make sure you drain at least most of the water first before flipping or it will just make it more awkward and heavier.

Lay dust sheets throughout the route you are taking the rad out of the house. Empty the rest of the rad down the drain if necessary.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back