How to drill a hole in a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am installing CCTV so need to drill from outside to inside, started to drill through but is causing more mess and damage to the plastered wall how can i stop this happening.

Sponsored Links
Get someone to hold a piece of plasterboard over the wall on the inside area that you are drilling into and as you punch through with the drill, the plasterboard will help to keep the plaster intact.
Of course if the plaster has blown across the wall , then nothing will stop the plaster falling off but at least you will have a fighting chance by putting something against the wall.

Mike

Ideally I would suggest to drill from the inside out still, but appreciate that there are times where this just isn't possible. I would minimise the chances of any blowout by using a smaller drill bit first, avoid putting undue pressure on the drill (and as has been suggested, a piece of plasterboard over the top won't go amiss)!

The only other consideration I would say to make if you are drilling from outside in is to angle the drill upwards very slightly to avoid the chances of water ingress. Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Ideally I would suggest to drill from the inside out still, but appreciate that there are times where this just isn't possible. I would minimise the chances of any blowout by using a smaller drill bit first, avoid putting undue pressure on the drill (and as has been suggested, a piece of plasterboard over the top won't go amiss)!

The only other consideration I would say to make if you are drilling from outside in is to angle the drill upwards very slightly to avoid the chances of water ingress. Hope this helps!

What he said!

In fact what you can do is go though outside to inside with a smaller bit reducing the damage to plaster (using plasterboard etc on inside)...then you can go through from inside to outside with the full size bit.

I agree with the idea of drilling from the outside to the inside, I'd suggest getting someone to hold a solid piece of timber where the bit breaks through, something really solid not just plasterboard. Turn off the hammer action and drill with the minimum of pressure for the last 50mm or so.
If you drill from inside and do damage you will find that spalled brickwork or render is hard to repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back