How to extend the width of a Kitchen worktop not on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new kitchen into the house that Jack built. The walls are not straight but bowed so I end up with a gap in the middle of the worktop against the wall.

I have thought of a few things that have worked in the past but they don't seem to be appropriate for this job

Digging the wall out at one end to reduce the gap is not an option as the units would be flush with the worktop, also the units are already in place and the joint angle would be wrong then.

Reducing the units width to allow an overhang on the worktop is not an option as the stove would be proud of the units.

any positive comments would be gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
i think that not only do you dig out the wall but you need to remove the offending units and cut them back a bit?hopefully there should be somewhere of about 50-60 mm behind them,think its going to be a pain in the ar5e but at least this will give you a decent finish,can see any other way personally.

Change your worktop for a double post form one which will be 650mm wide, you then have enough to cut off the back

Jason

alternatively are upstands available that you could gain an inch or two by pulling top forward a little.

Sponsored Links
Change your worktop for a double post form one which will be 650mm wide, you then have enough to cut off the back

Jason

Yep , I'll second this post.

Get a wider top and scribe/dig out wall to suit.

Cheap option is to baton rear wall and add new plasterboard to bring rear forward to required depth.

Hi,
If the wall is bowed in the middle and you have a gap, you will need to cut the units at both ends of the wall so that when you cut the worktop to fit, the front will be the same all along.
Its not really a case of getting a wider worktop, this just defeats the object (although it would work but at more cost)
Cutting the back of base units in kitchen fitting is done pretty much on every kitchen as walls are never usually straight, take that into account when planning your unit layout.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back