How to extend tile overhang on gable end.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a 1930’s build property which has been rendered. Seems like the original build was left bare bricks and not rendered, and the rendering was done at a later stage.

The person doing the render has done some in line with the edge of the tiles, so there is no overhang at all now. This has resulted in water seeping in through and blowing the render.

I have taken most of it off and noticed that the overhang that was left originally is only about 10mm.

I’m thinking it won’t be worth getting it rendered again as the same problem will eventually occur if the overhang is not increased 1st.

What are my options to increase the overhang?

I have read about fixing pressure treated timber along the edge, then tucking lead under the tiles and overlapping the timber.

Any other methods I could use apart from this…suspect that it may look messy if I used this method.

Sponsored Links
You are in between a rock and a hard place. Best practice undercloak (overhang) is 40mm to 50mm max.

Fibre cement "strips" are typically used. However, you would have to shunt your roof tile, or slate, over to pick up the difference in "overhangs".
Usually, its sand and cement pointed in unless a dry verge can be used.
By shunting over you will be losing the tile batten and felt.

Perhaps, roofers on here have solutions that worked for them?

Thanks Ree and alastairreid.

They are concrete tiles. I've attached a pic of the roof so you can see how it's been finished.

I'll take a look at the cement fibre strips.

Sponsored Links
Concrete tile will give you the best leeway for shunting, and will give you a secure reach beyond the end of the tile batten.

After moving the tile, screw the last tile down at the verge.

Thing is, some, esp at the verge, may be batten clipped. Just go slow.

The brickwork looks fine, perhaps, with pointing up, it will be fine without re-rendering?

Thanks Ree,

Good advise. I'll take off the rest of the render and see how the tiles have been fixed and if there is any leeway. Hopefully there's something there!

The pointing is completely shot! So I will be doing that again. Agree the bricks look ok, so may leave it.

Cheers.

Hi Benjiman

Have you been able to get out and do this yet?

I have the same problem, but taking the render off isnt really an option for me as it's a part stone part cob wall.

My thought was to take a few rows of tiles back, replace the felt and extend the batons to the required overhang. Replace the tiles and add half tiles (concrete Barnstaples) on the gable end.

Anybody got any thoughts on that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back