How to finish around belfast sink in laminated worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope this is the right section.

I bought my first house and the main kitchen sink is two belfast sinks next to each other. These are a laminated worktop, so, due to the holes being cut for the sink the chipboard stuff is on show. There is also quite an ugly gap between the sinks, that I have tempararily filled will mastic. We also have an issue with water splashing onto the back bit of timber by the tap, and it seems to sit there, so getting that to drain off is also something I am trying to figure out.

I am really unsure how to finish this off, and I can't find any examples on the internet, so any suggestions/ pictures would be appriciated. I did buy the metal edging strips for around the sink, but my partner did not like these.

Replacing worktop is not really an option, we have about 14m of the stuff in the kitchen!

All opitions and suggestions welcomed!

2011-03-29211257.jpg

2011-03-29211310.jpg

Sponsored Links
Belfast sinks are better suited to solid wood worktops, as however you treat a chipboard one it is always liable to get water damaged.
I've seen half-round hardwood strips glued to the edges which give the worktops bull-nose edges. Obviously the glue needs to be waterproof!
Perhaps you'd be tempted by two of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belfast-sink-...pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item3f0872e3e4 with a timber strip just along the back and front edges.
As for the join between them, I don't think there is much else you can do. :confused:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would be tempted to cover the gap between the sinks with a row of ceramic border tiles of an appropriate width to rest on the tops of both sinks.

For the front, a similar line, possibly using a narrower tile, so they finish flush with the face of the sinks.

The cut out has to be finished at installation, if it's been in use without protection it's ruined and needs repalcement.The edges should be sealed with varnish and matching edging used [glued] to seal, with foil tape to underside to prevent moisture entering the chipboard. Unless done very carefully will fail and require new tops.Tap holes also require sealing.

Sponsored Links
what ever you do will only be temporary as it will be shot soon if not now
the back edge above the pan looks shot already
my solution would be replace the equivalent off 2 sinks and drainers worth then you can cut grooves in one or more sides and keep balance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back