How to finish wall when you move a door? (moved from Information)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved a door and where the join from the new plaster board meets the original wall there are several layers of old wallpaper. It's a HUGE wall and I not really want to have to strip all the paper. If I get a plasterer will they be able to blend in the join so it is smooth?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
Remove all the paper back to plaster.
Making a join to meet a wallpaper line is nonsense - it wont work for a number of reasons.
Strip the wall and then let a plasterer at it.

Worked in a hotel for a contractor once who renevated every room, changed this changed that, put new chases in everywhere ect but left the wallpaper, all plastering had to be flushed into the wallpaper then repainted, that's what we was asked to do it can be done, big hotel it was as well if the paper had to come off in every room it would have cost them thousands

So the hotel was left with painted chases, and the certainty that the chases would stand out like stripes, and the painted skim might chip away here and there?
Being flush with the paper, the skim would be proud - what happens when the wall paper is finally renewed and the chase is left proud of the rest of the wall?
If it gets on the paper, wet skim alone could ripple the paper or lift it off its backing.
Like most professionals in the trades I've seen skim stopped at wall paper. And, no matter how well done, it looked terrible.

Sponsored Links
So the hotel was left with painted chases, and the certainty that the chases would stand out like stripes, and the painted skim might chip away here and there?
Being flush with the paper, the skim would be proud - what happens when the wall paper is finally renewed and the chase is left proud of the rest of the wall?
If it gets on the paper, wet skim alone could ripple the paper or lift it off its backing.
Like most professionals in the trades I've seen skim stopped at wall paper. And, no matter how well done, it looked terrible.
you've been looking at the wrong people's work I am quite happy to take you to the hotel and see if you can spot them they didn't even need any easifill the Painter's came in painted the whole room and looked good as new I done the job with another spread who was on diynot called the distinguishedplasterer , mmmnn stand out like stripes? I don't think so you see you don't stop at the paper you go over the paper taper off with spongefloat and then we used plasic the whole room would then be painted we was on the second phase on the second floor done it through out the floor we got a phone call for the third phase but we was on other jobs so could not do it , and as for if and when the paper comes off that's down to them, I suspect they will keep repainting the paper , if it ever do come off they will have to get a spread in or do what ever , just to add the pressure on that job was great we had the distinguishedplasterer sleeping in his van all week the day before last he had enough and wanted to go home so they gave him a hotel room

So, they repainted the whole room? Obviously not a patterned paper.
If they were going to paint the whole room then why not cut the paper at the chase to take the width of a roll or less, and do full drops at each chase?
And as for plaster on wallpaper I have never seen it deliberately done, and certainly have never done it myself.
I can remember arriving at jobs where plaster was spread over whole rooms of paper - it didn't work.

But I do understand that a jobs a job, works work, and if thats how they wanted it & there was no guarantee involved - then so be it.

Vinn it's not that kind of of job where you go round with drops of wallpaper I have one or to pics if I can get them off my old PC which will show you a more clearer picture, jobs specs were skim reboarded lids and patch walls into existing wallpaper , I did not take pics of patching but I took pics of lids and you can see a lot of the patching on those pics , also one of their doorway in which they could not make their mind up what to do with , on these jobs it's not me the sub contractor who garentees things it's the contactor, they tell you what they want and you do it any garentees are down to them

I never suggested that you start wallpapering anymore than I would suggest you paint the room.
Why do you "suspect that they will keep painting the paper"?
The more I attempt to visualise what you have done the less attractive it seems.
It must shout out to any guest that they are staying in some kind of work in progress.

I'm well versed in subcontracting: being a subby and using them. Any subcontractor works for me knows they have to stand by their work no matter - they take the call if it goes bad.

To be honest, it'll look terrible doing it the way you suggest,, you''ll notice it for ever more. Bite the bullet, strip the wall, get a plasterer in to flush out the area where the door was, then skim the WHOLE wall,, a far better/proper job all round.
Another point to mention as well, there's nowhere near enough screws in that sheet of plasterboard,,, just sayin!! :))

I never suggested that you start wallpapering anymore than I would suggest you paint the room.
Why do you "suspect that they will keep painting the paper"?
The more I attempt to visualise what you have done the less attractive it seems.
It must shout out to any guest that they are staying in some kind of work in progress.

I'm well versed in subcontracting: being a subby and using them. Any subcontractor works for me knows they have to stand by their work no matter - they take the call if it goes bad.
The job was treated as any patch job got exactly the same result , I don't think they will be taking the paper downanytime soon, visualise all you like the hotel is in bournouth right on the sea front why don't u go spend the night in one of the rooms to put your mind at rest ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back