how to fit a velux window from the inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have velux windows already fitted but not from the inside. My late husband installed the inner woodwork and the struts do not match with the struts on the roof itself which means I will have to cut into them. I was thinking of making a frame and simply placing that into the one strut. Would I have to tie that into the struts either side and how would I do that. I would want to do it removing as little ceiling as possible.

Sponsored Links
They come with fitting instructions, and if you do not know what you are doing I would leave it till the longest day and not the shortest.

The veluxs themselves are fitted. My problem is the inside, attaching from them to the sloping ceiling. I have to cut into one of the rafters and am unsure how to do it. I want to take down as little of the ceiling as possible. Can I just put in a frame (then I would only have to cut a hole as big as the velux) or do I have to attach to the 2 rafters either side. If I have to bolt into these 2 rafters from the other side then I would have to make good one big hole in the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
well there are two sets of rafters - one in the roof where the velux has been fitted and a second set in the loft conversion holding up the tongue and grove ceiling. I am just trying to figure out a way to avoid taking too much of the tongue and groove down. I have to cut away one of the rafters which means tying into the ones either side. If I bolt the new frame into them I will need to clear across 5 rafters in order to get behind them. Is there a way I can bolt into them from the front

Cannot give pics as not at the house at the moment. The only way I can think to explain it is that it is like a roof structure inside a roof structure. The one with the slates on and the lower one with the ceiling on. This means that there is a gap of about 2ft from where the velux fits into the roof to the ceiling. Also my late husband did not align the rafters so the ceiling one has to be cut.

It seems you are talking about the lightwell between the roof and the ceiling.

If so, you need to make a studwork partition - with insulation on the back and plasterboard on the front.

You'll need to add trimmers to the ceiling joists. Search here or Google for that

oh thank you I can see what you mean. It is difficult for me to explain when I do not know the building terms and pics would only show the complete ceiling and a velux fitted in a roof. Now I know the terms I can google itas you say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back