How to fit/change Electric Element on Towel Radiator

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by sameerp, 3 Oct 2010.

1. sameerp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I have a delonghi electric towel rail. It has a basic on/off setting with no thermostatic or timer control
    I want to fit a thermostatic element so I can control the temperature and timing.

I have bought a TERMA KTX-4 with the electric element that comes with it. This was recommended by the shop where I bought the towel rail. The supplier told me to fit the element I should
    1. Disconnect the towel rail from the electrics
    2. Unscrew the current electric element
    3. Screw in the new electric element, which the thermostatic control connects to

But
    When I got to step 2, I couldn’t unscrew the current thermostatic control. When I bought the towel rail the electric element was ready fitted (factory fitted).

My question is
    a. Should I continue and unscrew the current element. (pic A). Its not a perfect hexagonal shape. It is curved with 2 flat edges (pic A). Is there a specific tool I should be using. I've tried spanner and pliers as a last resort.
    Thanks

OR
    b. Can I fit the element to the other side (pic B) and leave the current element in.

OR
    c. Is it not possible to fit this at all

Appreciate any advice

2. 1john

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you need to be unscrewing the hexagonal part, a spanner is ideal, pliers however are not.

3. sameerp

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for replying John
    Does that mean i leave the other element in, including wire for the electrics?

4. ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like an open spanner would fit just fine.

5. mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could do as b) but I don't know if they leave any air in the radiator for expansion (????) which you may just push all out with a second element.