how to get to the screw on my toilet seat, coming loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having a hard time getting to the screw on my toilet seat to tighten it. I have looked for a release button, i have tried to unscrew from the under side of the toilet but none of this is working

i have attached an image of the seat, can anyone advise?

thanks
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with that type.

Picture not clear but looks like a nut underneath to me.
Deep socket if you can't get at it with anything else.

Are those grub screws above to remove seat and get at the top of the bolt?

Remove seat and hinge cover to find the bolt head to tighten if it will because the plastic plug wears. Often known to come loose and a whole new fixing kit is easy to buy.

I can't remove the seat, I can get under it and have managed to release the seat by pushing the plug sockets out, that then removes the whole lot, but doesn't help me remove metal covers to get at the screw.

Sponsored Links
sorry i am unsure of what grub screws are? under the toilet there is like a rubber fixing to the screw, i can unscrew these by hand and then lift the seat off completely from the toliet itself, but i am still then stuck with have the seat attached to the mental bit shown in the picture, which i can't get at, so i can see the bottom of the screw then but can't get to the top of it to tighten it

Now you have pulled the whole thing off the pan I doubt it will go back together nice and tight and you will need to replace the plastic plugs at the least.
Google Allen Keys and Grub screws as this looks like the way it could come apart - Note I said could not would!

ok looking at images of Grub screws i dont have them at all. The seat should be ok to go back in, i put the whole seat back on the toilet and did my best to tighten the screw from underneath by hand but can only get it so tight, this sort of worked but is starting again to loosen

ok looking at images of Grub screws i dont have them at all.

What are "pins" shown then just above the flat covers but below the actual hinges. You will never tighten it enough from underneath so don`t waste time trying.

Yeah realising tightening from below won't work. I have three of these seats 2 of which are loose and I can't remove them to tighten them. At this stage I may have to buy new seats completely but shouldnt need to. Frustrating

I have just fitted what looks like the same seat (from above at least), but the fixings underneath look different.

Mine is a soft close seat and the toilet seat and lid can be pulled off the pan fixings, leaving them attached to the pan.

Can yours, once you have loosened the grubs?

Take it your set was released by pressing spring loaded clips leaving the pins etc fixed in the pan?

Took another look at the photo`s and wondering (just wondering mind) if instead of pushing the chrome covers to release the catch on that one you pull the covers away from the hinge to release.

Sponsored Links
Back