How to increase cold water pressure to electric shower

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Boxerman, 30 Jul 2008.

1. Boxerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My brother is having a problem whereby he does not have enough cold water pressure to run a decent electric shower. His water supply is via a borehole into a tank at upstairs level so only has approx. 8ft of head to the shower below.

What is the best way to increase cold pressure to the shower ?

Thanks

2. cider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    raise tanks in loft or get new electric shower suitable to work on low pressure

3. Boxerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I believe he's tried 2 or 3 different showers at different outputs, any other options? I was wonedring whether he could pump the cold supply either directly to the shower or even a whole house pump on the cold side ? :confused:

4. cider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    or if hes got cash to spend pump from the bore well to break tank then highpressure pumps to accumilator then back to cold mains ;)

5. Boxerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    do I take it then that a pump between the tank and shower is not an option even with some sort of pressure regulator?

6. cider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    never seen that on any installation manual before. cant imagine it would work and wouldnt try it

7. plplumber

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    get a stewart turner 3 bar pump (inc. pressure switch) supply it from the cold header tank and run the out put direct to shower. could also supply all cold from this if rest of plumbing suits.
    i have done complete hot & cold house systems based on a combi boiler systems fed with pump & header tank before for bungalows. it works well and those ST pumps last forever as long as u don't run them dry!
    in hind sight you could supply the pump through a electric float switch in the header tank so if the tank runs dry for any reason the pump goes off.
    oh and another thing i always supplied the kitchen cold tap and toilets direct from the mains

8. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Common as eck, in top floor flats in London with tanks on the roof. You only need a small (silent, nearly, if you get a decent one) pump for an electric shower because the flow is low. 1.5 bar is fine.
    No harm using higher if you want, but the shower will be the same.

9. simond

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom