How to increase hot water pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Cold water tank sits in the loft along with the cylinder. The tank sits directly on top of the cyclider.

I have poor hot water pressure. How can I increase the pressure without going to the expense of a mains pressure hot water cylinder? How much highr would the tank need to be to increase the pressure significantly? Are pumps available that switch on automatically?

BTW, why can't u connect the mains water supply to a copper cylinder?

Sponsored Links
My Cold water tank sits in the loft along with the cylinder. The tank sits directly on top of the cyclider.
is it a combination cylinder ?

BTW, why can't u connect the mains water supply to a copper cylinder?

not designed to take that pressure.
yours is probably only a grade 3 cylinder 10m height max

is it a combination cylinder ?

Do u mean does it have an immersion element and the coil from the boiler? If so yes - I dont have a combi boiler - I have a system boiler.

is the cold water storage tank intergrated with the cylinder or seperate. if intergrated its a combination tank(fortic)

Sponsored Links
Increasing the height of the cold water storage by a Metre increases the pressure by 0.1 Bar, as the crow flies.

So you would need about 10 Metres height difference to generate 1 Bar of pressure. That's a little impractical for the average loft.

The average vented hot water cylinder is designed with very low pressures in mind, so the copper is about as thick as a sheet of paper. It would probably burst if pressurised to mains water pressures.

Mains pressure systems are designed with a much heavier cylinder to stand the pressure, which can increase significantly above the inlet pressure as they heat up, and a variety of safety devices to control the maximum pressure and temperature, and need regular maintenance inspections.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps, but getting back to my original question...................... are pumps available that automatically switch on to increase the water pressure? And if so are they worth it??

you can buy pumps specifically designed to boost hot water flow on vented systems. They are particularly useful in flats, where the cyclinder is at the same level as the hot water usage and there is very little head. Coupled with modern small bore taps you are a bit stuffed when your setup is like this.

You can use a single channel shower booster also, with an automatic flow switch. This works but you need to be sure that your hot water tank is a big enough capacity not to run dry too quickly.

These pumps will come with specific instructions on where they need to be placed in the supply.

These pumps are usually fitted to improve the flow rate to the shower and are usually called colloqually shower pumps although they also benefit the bath as well.

They cost about £100-£400 to buy and about £100-£300 to fit.

If they are used to increase the flow rate then often the existing feed cistern is not large enough and so that may have to be increased in size as well, say £150-£250.

Are you sure you still want to proceed?

Tony

is the cold water storage tank intergrated with the cylinder or seperate. if intergrated its a combination tank(fortic)

You need to answer this before thinking of fitting a pump. I also refer to Agiles post as to reasons why ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back