How to Isolate Live Wires - Unable to Follow Path of Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There are 2 security lights at our house, one at the back and one down the side of the house. In the boiler cupboard upstairs there is a switch (one of them with a red light above it) with 'security lights' written on it.

The one at the back, the bulb has gone but still works as far as I know, however a newer security light was installed much lower down on a separate switch making the other one unrequired, however still turned on.

I now want to remove this light and use the hole in the wall that the wires are currently coming through for the wires to a CCTV camera to save 1.making another hole and 2. to get rid of a useless security light.

I have gone up the loft and have followed the wire from outside, under the loft insulation and looks to head off in the direction of the security light thats at the side of the house (it heads down towards the rafters, out of the way from any rooms or not in line with the 'security light' switch.

So now i have no idea where it goes from there or where the wires split or connect to the security light switch.

I have yet to look inside the switch, could i expect to see two separate connections inside there and just disconnect the one that I don't want? Is it that simple?

Alternatively, is there a way to admit defeat and just snip the wire as far back as I can see and isolate it somehow even though its live? but risk the other light not working?

Sponsored Links
could i expect to see two separate connections inside there
crystal_ball.jpg

I have gone up the loft and have followed the wire from outside, under the loft insulation and looks to head off in the direction of the security light thats at the side of the house
Have you looked inside that light? Maybe the cable to the redundant light originates there....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back