How to lay floor in concrete house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 30 year old concrete house; walls, floor, ceilings.
I am looking to lay engineered wood floors in my living room. The original flooring was lino tiles stuck down with black stuff stright to the screed, which has gone hard, brittle and cracked, coming up in many places. But the sub floor is very level.

We would like a walnut floor. I have laid floating click together stuff before elsewhere, but found the movement in that to take away from any 'quality' feel.

What would you guys suggest as to how we should go about laying the floor? We have not bought anything yet.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you or haven't you yet removed the lino tiles and made good the sub floor?

As for walnut, getting pretty expensive nowadays (for proper quality). I suggest you stay away from the ones with a click-system, 'old-fashion' T&G are still much better and simpler.

Thanks for the reply,

No I have not yet removed all the lino. But it has come up in places because its so brittle now, so I know whats under it, a concrete screed floor with old black adhesive in a 'spread with a notched trowel' pattern. What do you mean "made good the sub floor"? Do I need to to strip the old adhesive off? The tiles come off very easily leaving a level floor.

I want a nice solid feel under foot, so no click system. But I have never stuck a floor down so I'm not sure how best to tackle this. I am a designer-maker, so happy to do anything with the right knowledge. Mainly, do i float a glued t&g floor, or stick it down to the floor? If so what adhesive and prep?

The room is 5.5m x 3.5m (approx) and nothing is bought yet.

cheers

After you remove the lino tiles make sure the subfloor is level and without any loose bit of bitumen (this will later make strange noises when you walk on your floor because it keeps being brittle!)
Install a combi-underlayment (DPM + sound-insulation in one) and glue all T&G's of your floor correctly.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for that. I have a good idea how to do this now. Hmm, just got to buy eveything!

I have just been looking on your website (i think its yours) at the correct way to glue t&g. Very helpful, thank you again.

I'll pop a photo up once done ;)

cheers

WARNING

The tiles that you describe probably contain asbestos get an expert to look at them do not try to remove them yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back